BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen the math and the physics of energy required to pull at 3.5 mph from an earlier post. I cannot argue either. But I can state that I had to be going faster than 100 FPM because I swim that rate easily every day in the pool at the YMCA and this was much - much faster than that on the fast setting. Could the diameter or pitch of the blades be a deciding factor? The bladefish has a larger diameter than the typical rec scooters out there.

You can tell from it's power source how fast you can go and for how long.

There's still "no free lunch" and moving through water requires power. Moving quickly through water requires a lot of power. If it's running on a couple of small 12V batteries, you're just not going to be doing anything very impressive with it.

Terry

No-it was very powerful-you should check it out-you'd be surprised

Some how I doubt that. Last I checked the laws of physics haven't been repealed.....

You clearly stated the Bladefish was less powerful than the SeaDoo, and we have test Data on the Seadoo.

"Less Powerful" is not going to result in "Faster than a SeaDoo"

If you find a $800 dollar ~1 mph scooter marketed by a firm that claims 3.5 mph a good choice by all means buy some.

Just don't be surprised when other divers swim past you.

Tobin

Some how I doubt that. Last I checked the laws of physics haven't been repealed.....

You clearly stated the Bladefish was less powerful than the SeaDoo, and we have test Data on the Seadoo.

If you find a $800 dollar ~1 mph scooter marketed by a firm that claims 3.5 mph a good choice by all means buy some.

Tobin

Tobin have you used this product yourself?

Tobin have you used this product yourself?

No, but we have a first hand report

The BladeFish 5000 is actually very powerful for it's size-not quite as powerful as an Explorer but close, doesn't handle as well and is noisier than the Explorer-but for a 10# 15"x6" it's pretty impressive.

That describes it as "not quite as powerful as an Explorer"

We do have actual test data on the Explorer from the Tahoe Bench Mark. This data reveals a top speed of 97 fpm for the more powerful SeaDoo.

We also have the Bladefish manufacturers motor specs, 210 watts.

From the reams of data produced at Tahoe I have long predicted that the Bladefish would have trouble reaching 1/3 of it's claimed speed of 3.5 mph with a 210 watt motor.

Now we have a first hand account, albeit not a true quantitative measurement, that largely confirms my contention.

I haven't been in a F1 car either, but I know they will outperform a Yugo.

Tobin

Tobin

The deal with the BladeFish 5000 is it's light weight and very small footprint. I guarantee if you tried the scooter you'd be pretty blown away by it considering it's size-I know we were

The deal with the BladeFish 5000 is it's light weight and very small footprint. I guarantee if you tried the scooter you'd be pretty blown away by it considering it's size-I know we were

I have a 37 lbs scooter with a 600 watt motor and a 43 lbs scooter with a 1200 watt motor.

The 1200 watt MiniCuda will tow a single tank diver in a drysuit at over 3 mph. It's quite an experience.

I've played with the "Recreational Scooters" and for me they just are not useful, period.

I know I'm repeating myself, but once again;

There may well be a place for small, lightweight, $800, 1 mph scooter. If that fits your needs great, buy a dozen.

Could they be fun? Sure

Testing has shown that a freediver in a wetsuit will be about 35% faster than a diver in a drysuit and single tank. That still only get the Bladefish to ~1.35 mph.

I find it inexcusable that these devices are marketed as being capable of 3.5 mph. They simply are not.

Tobin

I find it inexcusable that these devices are marketed as being capable of 3.5 mph. They simply are not.

It's possible that it might go 3.5 M/h, but it would only be for a couple of minutes, and not the "70-20 minutes" specified on the website. A Lithium Ion Battery has an average energy density of 200W/Kg, which means that if the scooter was 3/4 battery, it's still only 684 W/H, which isn't nearly enough to meet the advertised specs.

I'm amazed at how many people trust advertising more than math.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom