Blood Pressure Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhaul

Registered
Reaction score
:boom: Evidently my doctor thinks Im healthy as a horse, but my heart is a time bomb. I failed my physical yesterday due to a blood pressure of 130/ 100. I have been in the gym swimming and lifting weights at least two hours a night 5 nights a week for a couple of months now. I feel great! He, however, will not sign my physical for dive school unless it is 130/90. I am scheduled to leave on the 16th of Feb. I already took out a loan, quit my job, and gave up my place of residence. I have three days to get it down and he will sign it. I go to have it rechecked on Monday morning. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to drastically change it. I dont want to do it with medicine because if it is a real problem then I shouldnt be diving. I believe its because of the stress preparing to go and the high salt chicken and dumplings with mashed potatoes lunch I had an hour and a half before the physical. My life is going down hill real fast can someone please help me apply the brake:confused:
ps. I have never had high blood pressure in my life and gave blood 4months ago and it was fine!

Get a second opinion. Contact your LDS, and get a couple of referrals for doctors in your area that understand scuba or get referrals to another doctor specializing in cardiac care. I have a family history of high BP and heart disease, and when I got checked out last Dec., my BP was 125/85 in my right arm, and 132/90 in my left arm. My doctor explained that BP can be different in each arm, esp. since BP almost constantly changes, even second to second. He qualified me as a no-risk, esp. with my swimming workouts and other activities. Explain on your next visit that you're under a bit of stress (a complete life change such as your doing is certainly a cause for stress).

I can understand that this is upsetting, but NOTHING will drive your blood pressure up like STRESS!

I agree, get a second opinion, or meditate for a while and then go see the doctor and have him check again. I had the blood pressure problem in the past, and it was always attributed to stress. So I went out and found a new situation with a lot less pressure and my blood pressure quickly returned to normal.

Just a thought....

:upset: okay I just stayed on hold with DAN for 17 minutes waiting to get a referal and couldnt stay on hold any longer at work!!! Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get a referal to a diving doctor in the Kansas City, Missouri area??? I only have till monday to find a doctor, get cleared, or watch my life run out with the tide ;-0

Guys, thanks for the stress tips, I have never felt stressed in my life. Until yesterday when they told me about my blood pressure I felt my face go flush and etc... I dont really have much stress, but does anyone know how I can relieve it?

Should I continue my workouts till monday or postpone them???:confused:

Again, I would call an LDS in your area. They should have knowledge of doctors who understand scuba.

Hey, you have nothing to lose with continuing your workouts. It'll help relax you and get rid of some of the stress that is starting to build. Good luck!

Best short-term things to do to lower blood pressure: relax (easier said than done, but can make a 10 point difference); drink no coffee for a couple of days.

Long term: lose weight (makes a BIG difference) that's from personal experience.

Rich

It sounds like the BP reading was a bit of a fluke. Everybody here seems to have similar, good advice: relax, avoid caffeine & salt, & go back & have your BP taken again.

Actually I am surprised that your doctor didn't tell you the same dang thing. (Are you sure he/she is good?)

My husband was having borderline-high BP readings for a period of time. The doctor told us that he would not give a diagnosis of a problem unless the higher readings were repeated at least 3 times on 3 separate occassions.

I am not a doctor, but 130 over 100 isn't even technically high, as I recall. I thought you have to have readings over 140/100 to be high. Is that right? Dunno.

Okay so finally got through to DAN to get a referal to a dive doctor in the area. They referred me to some doctors that work at a hyperbaric chamber in the area. The medic at DAN said it didnt sound like my pressure was too bad, but to consult with these doctors and have them talk to my doctor. Well, that didnt work. The first doctor doesnt work at the number anymore and the second doctor was off and the third doctor said I was in serious trouble and needed to see a cardiologist regardless of scuba diving or not!!! I am so confused no one has a straight or helpful answer.
I have cut all the salt out of my diet and went from smoking a pack a day to 6 in one day! I am drinking lots of water, taking a garlic pill, eating bannanas, and going to the gym! If that doesnt bring it down in three days then maybe I do need a cardiologist. I have had 4 cigarrettes today and only 150mg of salt so I am :upset: but it will be worth it I am sure!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom