Blood Pressure Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a doctor so this is only my opinion. To rapidly lower blood pressure eliminate all excess salt and caffeine (coffee, tea, cola drinks etc). In the longer term weight loss often lowers blood pressure.

Is your doctor using a narrow or a wide cuff?? Most use a narrow cuff which results in a incorrectly high reading so insist on using a wide cuff.

130/100 really isn't that high, I thought that it had to be more like 140/100 before it was high. Anyway, anxiety raises blood pressure so your fear of failing the test would probably be raising your blood pressure thus causing you to fail the test. It isn't going to be easy but try to relax.

:) I did it. I cut out alot of salt and cut down on smoking and passed my physical!!! I want to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement! I leave in 5 days for 3months of dive training and Im so excited I probably wouldnt pass another physcal. Diving has been a life long dream and its about to come true!!! Thank you everyone!!!:eek:ut:

and well done.

On a more serious note once things have settled down I would suggest that you see your doctor and have your blood pressure assessed. Long-term high blood pressure can have serious medical consequences but if dianosed it can be treated.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS.

I wish I was leaving to go for dive training, instead of stuck here in the never ending winter of New England.

I wish you well....

First off congradulations. Second...cut out the smoking! I know it is hard, but as a health care provider (Paramedic) I can definately tell you that smoking reaks havoc on you entire body, not only your lungs. Smoking is one of the more serious questions I ask any person whom I come in contact with at work and am suspecting cardiac conditions. Other than that, just follow what everyone else has said, relax, cut the cafeine and salt, and keep up the exercise. If you cut the smoking I am willing to bet that your BP will change dramatically within 6 months.:doctor:

Get the fat off your body, stop smoking. Those two things are the greatest killers in America. Not stress. We all have stress.

DMD..dentist

Listen to the advise given. Quit smoking period. Another good way to reduce your BP over time is to do aerobic excersize. Swimming laps is one way, but you need to do it for at least 20 minutes, 3 time a week. The better way is to take an aerobics class at your gym 3 times a week. I had to quit after losing my job, moving to a new area for a new one and also having a daughter in college. My wife left her job in Florida to move here and is working as a flight instructor, but they make even less than SCUBA instuctors. So, I am walking (can't run anymore, my knees won't let me) every day. I will get back to the aerobics classes, I just need to get a raise. Things are much more expensive here. In any case, sometimes the genetics just make your BP get higher. I am on medication. Where excersize used to control my BP, it does not any more. It's a pain getting older sometimes. But you don't have a choice anyway.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom