Bloody Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never even noticed any of the nose bleeds, it was only when I surfaced that the DM said I had a bloody nose. Once I wiped away the blood there was no more blood. It was like I was only bleeding under water. While under water I noticed any blood in my mask or in the water around me. In fact I was taking photos of my self on one dive and never saw any blood in my mask at all in the photos.
John

I tend to agree with equalization/nose pinching, etc. being the problem. I am one who has been prone to nosebleeds (due to allergies, granted mostly when I was younger). But I wouldn't think it being your first cold dive has much to do with it. I've been in a lot colder water than 50F with my 7 mill and never a hint of a nosebleed. Then again, my hood isn't super tight, as sometimes I get too much water in my ears. Plus I never have equalizing problems and don't nose pinch--thus my guess about your cause.

Anybody who is prone to nose bleeds blow their snot out while underwater?

I get a nosebleed pretty much every time I dive. It's no big deal just some bloody snot. I asked one of the docs at work about it and he said it's just barotrauma to the sensitive blood vessels lining the nose and sinuses. Some people are more sensitive to barotrauma than others. He suggested using a nasal spray like Afrin about a half hour before diving. The theory behind it is that the nasal spray causes the blood vessels to constrict so that they are less susceptible to rupturing when under pressure. It makes sense so the next time I go diving I'm going to try it.

Bubbletrouble is spot on. I suspect he may be a doctor or some other health care professional. He knows this stuff, though. Nosebleeds following a dive are common, and do not necessarily indicate any problem that would keep your from diving. The polite thing to do if you see someone who has had a nosebleed is to tell them so they can rinse their mask and face before freaking out alot of other people on the dive boat who may, due to lack of experience or training, assume a much bigger problem is present.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom