blowing air rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried everything in the world to blow those rings but I totally suck at it. I've seen new open water students blow perfect ones but, I suck.

I think next time out I will try my hand at blowing a few rings. The Whale video was too cool. It amazes me how trainers are able to get a wild animal to do those sorts of things.

Al Mialkovsky:
I have tried everything in the world to blow those rings but I totally suck at it.
I've seen guys that can pop out perfect ring after perfect ring. I consider myself lucky if 1 out of 5 stay together. About 1 out of 20 is more typical. But heh, what else ya gonna do on a blue water safety stop?

head back and I agree with saying "pop" but also let your cheeks relax and fill with air, then when you say pop sort of let your lips open in front of your teeth. lots of practice, but when you see that first one floating gently to the surface all is worth it

I used to use the "POP" trick. While it works, I didn't get the glassy smooth rotating rings. I then used the "tongue" technique where you stick the tongue out and pull it in fast ( as you blow the air out) to start the ring rotating. This gives the smooth walls. Hey, what else do you have to do while doing deco stops. One side effect of practising the "tongue" technique......people watching are more interested in going out for a date after the dive......

i use the tongue technique as well... that's how i met my wife. *bah dum bah* Please remember to tip your waitress...

no, seriously folks...

i get better rings that way vs. other methods. just don't do it if there's a big barracuda standing by... it might think your tongue is a worm...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom