Blown Burst Disk right after thirds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Waterlover
Sounds to me like 2 things could have occurred either your hollow bolt got loosened somehow( I sheared a bolt off on a wreck dive) or the copper disk corroded and put a pinhole in them. The leak was not as though the disk went completely. I have had them go and the tank drains in less than 2 minutes. Just my $.02
Ken

I agree with this, one of these things is almost certainly the problem. I've never had a disk go outside the fill tank (and when they blow there it's quite an event). Glad you're safe.

Tom

I also have found some leaking. Like UP, I drained and tightened them. Last time I was in Florida a guy was on a solo dive in cow. When he came out he said his disk blew. That was inded where it was leaking but it turned out to be loose not blown. This is one of the many good reasons for consevative gas mangement. Thirds cuts it real close.

I had a disk screw loosen up just prior to my last fill a few weeks ago. We noticed it as we were filling the tank. Of course, I hadn't touched the disk on that valve in two years or so. I discounted it as a fluke since I never had that happen before. It's funny how things like that happen. I sure wouldn't want a full disk blowout underwater. I'm sure that would get your attention :).

Mike

I had one blow (and when I say "blow" I mean blow all to hell) about 500' into Orange Grove. It was the god - awfullest noise I have ever heard. If I recall correctly the tank was empty within ten minutes and it was "a little over full" when it happened. Also, if I recall correctly, I left some skid marks in my shorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom