Blue Angel Dive site? Possibly...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost 3 helicopters in Viet Nam. No one seemed to very concerned about that at the time.

For a bit of perspective- let me explain something to you guys

Yesterday there were a number of wives in Pensacola who heard the news and immediately thought "Oh God, please don't let that be my husband" which was immediately followed by feelings of guilt- because if it isnt YOUR husband- it's someone else's. Quite likely someone yo know well, have socialized with, your kids play with their kids.... get the picture?

How do I know this? I am the ex- wife of a Naval Aviator- I have been there and done that.

As of 10 PM last night the Naval Hospital and NAS Pensacola PR folks were still not releasing the name of the pilot, OR confirming his condition or release from Naval Hosptial- pending notification of the family. So yea, I think it's a little rude to go yammering about a new dive site until those formalities are concluded.

Further- the pilot was not having a great time yesterday- the "lab tests" they spoke of would have included drug and blood alcohol tests to rule out those factors in the crash. He's also undergoing extensive interviews about what happened prior to the crash. This could be a career ending episode for him (hopefully it was a mechanical failure).

Have a little respect.

Again, when I watched the news at 10, they said the pilot was in good shape. They could not confirm nor deny whether or not he was even still at the hospital(the radio said he was released earlier for what its worth).

Your entire arguement seems to be based on an instance that I disrespected the pilot by posting on his wreck without knowing whether or not the dude made it out alive - thats simply not the case. I understand that people were stressed and worried about a kin or loved one going down in the ocean - not knowing whether or not they are well. The kin and more than likely the friends of the pilot have long since been notified of his condition, if not having seen the dude in person already.

You're taking this thread completly wrong and I think your attack is way off base :wink:

Those guys are absolutely amazing. Talking about being at the top of pilot technique. About the only time one of these guys is in peril is in the case of a mid-air, which is certainly possible given their flying requirements.

You can bet your sweet bippie that the Navy isn't going to leave that bit of metal lying at the bottom of the briney . . . bet the salvage tugs were there at sunrise this morning.

I find no disrespect in your post.

I think we should all have a pity party and pull our hair out because some airdale planted his bird in the drink.

Oh wait! No, this is a diving board! In that case, I think we should discuss diving the wreckage.

What are we? Divers or children behaving nicely at a tea party?

Anyway, I don't think F/A-18s are designed for water entry. If he was on final the speeds may have been low enough that the airframe survived intact. Depending on what the mission was, there may be pyrotechnics and other nastiness on board.

The Navy recovered a salt water logged F/A-18 and rebuilt it a few years ago. Sorta pricey to leave them lying around. Who knows?

Peter

Blue Angels are demo only. They don't carry armament and ordnance . . .
Being that close to a civilian environment and the home base I wouldn't imagine he had a great deal of airspeed up.

Backtanner:
I happen to find this post insensitive also as there is no mention of how the bird that got hit is doing.

He lost his left leg, otherwise only minor scrapes and bruises.

The bird will never drive again :(

Free Bird !!! Free Bird !!! Freeeeeeee Birrrrrrrrrrrrrd !!!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom