Blue Angel Dive site? Possibly...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Won't matter. The Navy probably has already recovered the plane. There is no way they would leave an F-18 down there.

The Kraken:
Blue Angels are demo only. They don't carry armament and ordnance . . .

Yes, but last I heard, all those jets can be reconfigured for combat duty lickety split. So all the gear and hardpoints for carrying/delivering ordnace are still there.

I could just imagine a Blue Angel getting "drafted" for combat duty, 'cept they leave the paint job as is. Nobody would have the heart to shoot down all those pretty colours...

Archman wrote:
"I could just imagine a Blue Angel getting "drafted" for combat duty, "

. . . I bet they would think "WTF ?!?!?!?!?"

it would be very cool IF the navy left it, and IF it was intact. as for the pilot, i hope that he is ok, and that the crash wasnt his fault!

Peter Gimble was diving the Andrea Doria within hours of it sinking, and he was called a hero. For those of us that dive real wrecks (not the ones sank to make reefs) we are used to diving on sites of tradgey. It does not matter how "fresh" a wreck is. People die when ships (and planes) sink. Thats just the way it is.

Chickdiver - have you ever slowed down and rubbernecked at a traffic accident? I'll bet you have. Isn't that insensitive?

No, actually I don't rubberneck- and I detest those who do. It slows down traffic and is generally rude.

I also dive plenty of real wrecks. In point of fact, I would have no problem with diving a wreck like this- what I have a problem with is the morbid curiosity and enthusiastic response to a sad event by our local shore diving guru.

Here's the article from the Pensacola News Journal site; datelined this afternoon:

"The Navy Blue Angels have released the name of the pilot who safely ejected into the Gulf of Mexico Wednesday afternoon before the F/A-18 Hornet jet crashed into the water.

Navy Lt. Ted Steelman, 32, from Star, Idaho, was flying an unnumbered Blue Angel jet on a routine, hour-long training mission about 2:45 p.m. Wednesday when the incident occurred. Steelman is the team's opposing solo, and flies the Number Six jet during the demonstration.

Steelman was released from the Pensacola Naval Hospital today and is resting at home. Hours after the crash, Steelman was listed in good condition at the hospital. The $28 million jet is still in the Gulf and is considered a total loss, said Blues spokesman Chief Petty Officer Vic Brabble.

Fellow members of the elite flight demonstration team canceled their practice today, Brabble said. An investigation into the incident has been initiated by the Naval Safety Center, which is the Navy's version of the National Transportation Board.

"The investigation can go from days to weeks to months," Brabble said. "We just don't know how long it will take."

A second Hornet, flown by Lt. Cmdr. Craig Olsen, 35, from Kirkland, Wash., was flying with Steelman approximately 10 miles from Pensacola Naval Air Station when the incident occurred. Olson landed safely at the station after Steelman had been recovered.

Steelman was recovered by an NAS Pensacola search-and-rescue helicopter and was airlifted to the Naval Medical Center.

A Coast Guard buoy tender is patrolling the crash site to pick up floating debris and to keep the area secure for investigators. For safety reasons anyone who may find debris is asked not to handle it. They should report its location to the Pensacola NAS base police at (850) 452-3453. If material is found at sea, they should contact the Coast Guard at (850) 453-8282. "

Rick

Rick Murchison:
For safety reasons anyone who may find debris is asked not to handle it. They should report its location to the Pensacola NAS base police at (850) 452-3453. If material is found at sea, they should contact the Coast Guard at (850) 453-8282. "
Yeah... sure... safety reasons. I think Columbia wreckage originally was tagged like this too, until the souvenir collecting went nuts. I had people from my classes leaving school to join the hunt, what a circus! The one-two punch of "U.S. government property" and "criminal offenses" came out of the shadows soon after. I guess honesty is still regarded as politically insensitive in this matters, until problems arise.

I have a buddy working on some of the condo's at Perdido Key, he said a large Coast Guard cutter was out there at the wreck site - I'm guessing its the one picking up the floating debri. He also said he saw some of the Blue Angels out there again today, I wonder if he was mistaken, or if only some of the pilots cancelled practice.

chickdiver:
I would have no problem with diving a wreck like this- what I have a problem with is the morbid curiosity and enthusiastic response to a sad event by our local shore diving guru.

It never has been my intention to celebrate the crash, but the plane was downed regardless - so now what? I'd preffer to make the best out of it and hope for a new dive site(which isn't gonna happen apparently). The pilot made it out safely, I'm not gonna mope about what could have happened - chill out with the angst. I don't have anything against you, you obviously have something against me and I probably can't do anything about it. Trying to drag my name thru the mud isn't very nice though :wink:

"local shore diving guru"
:D I like that, it may end up being my new title LOL thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom