Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faq88

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I flew into Cancun on Sunday. We had decided to do the ferry and shuttle bus. I was disappointed by how long it takes to get through immigration and customs in Cancun (60 min). I know that CZM is much shorter. After we got done with those lines we took the shuttle bus which when well. The ferry was easy to find and much closer to the bus terminal then we thought. Prices were bus ($10) and ferry ($14). All was going well until the ferry started to rock!!! Lets just say I was glad I didn't eat much. If you are ever considering going through Cancun take into consideration weather conditions and the sea-sickness. I don't normally get sick on smaller boats, but we had some rough waves. We got to Blue Angel at 7:30 PM (cab $6) and decided not to eat dinner since we both were still not feeling well.

DAY 1 Cozumel (12/21)
Woke up to continued winds and strong tides. The dive boats were still going out, but we had to get taxi'ed to the harbor. We didn't dive until 1300 so we decided to do some shore-diving to make sure everything was working and we had our buoyancy. Found out we were missing a valve for the BCD and lost a strap to my fins. Luckily the dive shop had a spare valve and we found the strap. It was a great idea to do our first dive off shore. We love having the dive shop and restaurant so close to our room. A lot of resorts require a lot of walking and this is super convenient. Shore dive went well!!! We saw some fish, but being next to the stingray pen saw no stingrays!?!? This is my girlfriends first trip to czm, and she was having fun looking at the fish. The weather was still better underwater then above.

1300 dive was great. We did Chankabra and Paradise Reef. Saw the SUB up close and personal. Saw an octopus, sea horse, and some stingrays. Started to rain at the end, but we got done with the second dive, just in time.
The food has been great so far. Looking forward to going downtown today after our 0800 dive. Can't wait to try some of the local cuisine.

Mike

Glad you guys are having a good time. I really love the BA.
Try Casa Denis for dinner, they have good yucatan style cooking.
Actually when I did a shore dive, I followed the "pen" all the way around and watched all the rays inside, plus there are quite a few variety of fish at the base of the pen, plus crabs and few lobsters and eels.
I like santa rosa wall,,,,,,,,,,,
enjoy.................

Last edited:
We got stuck in customs once in Cancun for over 3.5 hours. We literal got off the plain and stood in line. It was not fun. It is just something to think about when you are trying to get cheaper tickets.

I love real-time trip reports of Cozumel especially when one is staying at my favorite "resort". Say hi to Eva for me! Keep them coming......

Thanks-Jean in cold MO

Yes, thank you for the on-site report. Love it, brings back oh so many fond memories.
I just bought a lap top to take with me on the next trip to do the same................
Tip: Try the Victoria beer with you post dive lunch..............excellent beer.

Day 2 of diving was awesome. We had Jose the first day, but yesterday we meet Jorge. He is very layed back and seems to let you figure things our on your own. We did Palancar Brick which was beautiful. The coral formations were amazing. Gives you a god inspring moment. Didn't see a lot of fish, but the coral was worth it. The second dive (forget the name) was a lot of fish on a wall. We saw our first nurse shark underneath some coral taking a nap. Also saw a huge moray eel (5ft) in another covering. The fish were beautiful and it was a relaxing dive. I've been working on my skills and think I'm doing better.

Breakfast and dinner at BA are great. I love the personally made meal instead of the buffet style. We have yet to have a meal we didn't like. DIdn't eat dinner last night because our appetite has been finnicky. Instead went to Mega and got a Quart of ice cream to share!!!
Walked downtown Cozumel and enjoyed the vendors. Didn't buy much, because its hard to trust the quality of it. Did see some hand painted plates that we liked. May go back tomorrow. Does anybody know were there are some good art studios and what time are they open? ALso what time is the Public Market running? We went down there but only half of the shops were running.

Mike

Did Palanacar Bricks with Jorge last July, great dive, we did palanacar gardens for the second on that day. Many people in Mexico take the two weeks surrounding Christmas as a Holiday so that may account for the closed shops.

Thanks again for the update.
I really enjoyed Jorge style. I like to set up my own gear. Plus he doesn't make the whole group come up when one is low on air, unless you are doing advanced sites like Baracuda.
I like Chedrui market better than Mega, their bakery has a huge selection of fresh goods, very cheap.
Try Santa Rosa wall, this was one of one favs.
How's the wifi reception there?
Tip: Try the frozen Margarita at the BA, very yummy.

Dive 1 was at Palancar Gardens - was not as great as Palancar Bricks, lots of coral not much for fish. Not our favorite.
Dive 2 was Cedral Shallows. We asked Jorge for turtles and he delivered. We say at least 5 turltles and the elusive toad fish (awesome looking fish)!!! Really enjoyed this dive for the variety of fish we were able to see.

Breakfast and lunch at BA was excellent as usual. Highly recommend everything on the menu except the burger (they were out). Hopefully will try one today.

Not sure if you guys know this, but Eva brought a local orphanage in from the community. Bringing about 10 orphans each day for 3 days. She is feeding them burgers and letting them play in the pool and snorkel. If your looking for a resort please take BA into consideration, due to Eva's kindness!!!

Night Dive was my first and I would definately do it again. Saw octopus, eels (spotted and moray), crabs and lobsters. Thanks to those that have recommended this type of dive. I almost didn't do it and was extremely glad I did.

Took a short walk to Albertos, north of BA. The food was over seasoned and kind of pricey. I would probably try some more choices first.

Don't count on Cozumel's immigration & custom's being shorter than Cancuns. It all depends on how many flights come in at the time yours does and how many agents are working at the time. I've run into both long lines and short lines at both places. Many times its just the luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom