Blue Bay Divers in Bangka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogfish and Mike thanks for the info....Blue Bay has not responded to to my emails or my Travel agents but I did run across a report that they do not have A/C or Hot Water, and their bathrooms are the Indonesian mandi style. Their rooms seem nicer than Murex. Danny (Lembeh Divers) replied to my email yesterday and he said the Murex resort has A/C, Hot Water and ensuite bathrooms....looks like Murex.

I think you are getting confused with the main Murex resort near Manado and the Murex Bangka cottages. We stayed in Bangka in 2003 and I can assure you, there is no possible way that they have AC, although they did have hot water and western style bathrooms attached to each cottage (the bathrooms are open air, in fact, a rat actually fell into our toilet at 4AM - but that's another story). At least when we were there, they didn't even have ceiling fans, just portable floor fans that you could put in the window. To describe the operation politely, I'd say it is "rustic". Electricity is supplied by a generator that is on from 5PM until 8AM.

On the other hand, Bangka is gorgeous with beautiful sandy beaches and great diving (definitely superior to Bunaken), but unless you want to pay the high price at Gangga, you do have to be prepared to rough it a bit. Don't know anything about Blue Bay, but at least from their website, their operation looks to be more comfortable than what we experienced at Murex Bangka.

My only problem with Bangka is I need a Sunday AM flight from Manado to Sorong. Express Air was to start up that flight at the beginning of this this month and it has not started and no word from Express Air. Being I do not want to spend a day in Sorong as I would have to take a Sat AM flight I may go to Bali.

Scott -

Have you been aboard Express Air? Seriously, unless you have an extra joint in your leg,it is virtually impossible for an American-sized male to get in their seats. There was no physical way I could fly that leg from Sorong to Makassar except to move to the aisle seat and literally sit sideways with my knees in the aisle. I have never seen tighter seats on an airplane of any size, anywhere. They fly B737's, but they jam in as many seats as possible. In the future, I would probably pass on a trip before I flew them again.

Just my .02, YMMV ....

I am not Mike but can comment on Murex Bangka :) , at least as it was a couple of years ago: nice beach, excellent diving, bungalows are simple but comfortable. Food was tasty Indonesian home cooking type.

We had the place mostly to ourselves, my wife and I (no other guests for a couple of days).

I think you are getting confused with the main Murex resort near Manado and the Murex Bangka cottages. We stayed in Bangka in 2003 and I can assure you, there is no possible way that they have AC, although they did have hot water and western style bathrooms attached to each cottage (the bathrooms are open air, in fact, a rat actually fell into our toilet at 4AM - but that's another story). At least when we were there, they didn't even have ceiling fans, just portable floor fans that you could put in the window. To describe the operation politely, I'd say it is "rustic". Electricity is supplied by a generator that is on from 5PM until 8AM.

On the other hand, Bangka is gorgeous with beautiful sandy beaches and great diving (definitely superior to Bunaken), but unless you want to pay the high price at Gangga, you do have to be prepared to rough it a bit. Don't know anything about Blue Bay, but at least from their website, their operation looks to be more comfortable than what we experienced at Murex Bangka.

I spent 4-5 days on Bangka at the Murex center in May last year. I agree with the above : a bit rustic (but no rats for me, thank you...) For 2.5 days I had the resort for myself... My diving guide was Ken, excellent for spotting everything, and very attentive to what dives you'd like to do. I'd go back there with little hesitation, since the diving was fantastic, if I was sure there would be other divers at the same time than me.... People at the resort (DM, cook, ....) spoke about as much English than me Indonesian ! So no way of having a conversation. :depressed:

Scott -

Have you been aboard Express Air? Seriously, unless you have an extra joint in your leg,it is virtually impossible for an American-sized male to get in their seats. There was no physical way I could fly that leg from Sorong to Makassar except to move to the aisle seat and literally sit sideways with my knees in the aisle. I have never seen tighter seats on an airplane of any size, anywhere. They fly B737's, but they jam in as many seats as possible. In the future, I would probably pass on a trip before I flew them again.

Just my .02, YMMV ....

Well they still have not put in that Sunday flight so either I will have to fly on Saturday to Sorong or to Makassar and then on Sunday to Sorong. I heard if I get row 1 or 2 it is survivable.

I spent 4-5 days on Bangka at the Murex center in May last year. I agree with the above : a bit rustic (but no rats for me, thank you...) For 2.5 days I had the resort for myself... My diving guide was Ken, excellent for spotting everything, and very attentive to what dives you'd like to do. I'd go back there with little hesitation, since the diving was fantastic, if I was sure there would be other divers at the same time than me.... People at the resort (DM, cook, ....) spoke about as much English than me Indonesian ! So no way of having a conversation. :depressed:

Josi says they now have AC, ceiling fans and Hot water but it is conditional (in working order) if their new larger generator is installed and working by the time I get there in November.

We plan to go to Bangka end of May this year. Gangga seems rather expensive. We are looking at Blue Bay, Murex or Mimpi Indah. We will be going with our two children 5 and 7 and enjoy snorkeling, especially at night. So we need a resort with a nice, easily accessible, shallow reef. Does anyone have any advice?

Any updates to Bangka Island Murex operation? I will be in the area next May and looking at diving options - I will be travelling with wife and kid and looking at a quiet resort. I have heard reports that is is quite empty with little atmosphere - this is of concern. Anyone shed further light?

Any updates to Bangka Island Murex operation? I will be in the area next May and looking at diving options - I will be travelling with wife and kid and looking at a quiet resort. I have heard reports that is is quite empty with little atmosphere - this is of concern. Anyone shed further light?

I have a trip report posted in December about my visit there in November. Diving is excellent and the resort is basic but nice.

Many thanks for the former informations provided... Anyone could help me to compare and choose between these three dive resorts ?
- Blue Bay Divers
- Murex Bangka Resort
- Mimpi Indah Resort

I have a few questions :
- which one has hot water ?
- internet or wireless connexion ?
- best house-reef ?
- isolated or not ? (could you go for a stroll, or a motorbike ride around the resort, or do you need a boat)

Any recent and up-to-date information will be appreciated. Many Thanks !!!
:)

hi corrinne: i can answer you the questions to bluebaydivers:

- which one has hot water ?
--> we have hot water , after third dive, delivered to the bungalow. bluebaydivers has mandi style shower in the bathroom
- internet or wireless connexion ?
--> no
- best house-reef ?
--> in terms of critters, definitive YES (frogfishs, ghostpipes, mandarin fish ..)
check that out: Blue Bay Divers | Blue Bay Housereef
- isolated or not ? (could you go for a stroll, or a motorbike ride around the resort, or do you need a boat)
--> isolated. small white sandy beach island SAHAUNG, in front of bangka. no motorbikes!!

hope that helps.
anke bluebaydivers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom