Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1010 for a 1210 high tide. It was not to crowded when I arrived but there was a steady flow of cars coming in the entire time I was getting ready. Parking lot was 95% filled when I finished my dive. Definitely a lot of vacationers. Water was what I call sparkly green or crystal green today, the opposite of milky green. Sparkly green good, milky green bad. Sea temp increased to 74f up 2 degrees since Tuesday, and visibility was 40ft.

Entered the westside on scuba at 1025 in order to beat the rush. Stayed on the south westside and meandered down to the channel barrier and solid wall stanchion. Wondered back to exit through the other bridge pilings. Observed a small Green Sea Turtle, a couple Longed Arm Octopus, a Hydroid Decorated Neck Crab, Leafy Jewel Box, Lined Seahorse, Striped Burrfish, more than a few Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Polka Dot Batfish, Townsend Angelfish and Southern Horse Mussel. Did a REEF fish survey of 63 species in 60 minutes. Respectively, Sparkly Green, See if you can find the crab, Long Arm Octopus, Polka Dot Batfish, and Townsend Angelfish.
03-14-24 Sparkly Green.JPG
03-14-24 Hydroid Decorator Crab.jpg
03-14-24 Long Arm Octopusb.jpg
03-14-24 Polka Dot Batfish.JPG
03-14-24 Townsend Angel.jpg

One to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1010 for a 1210 high tide. It was not to crowded when I arrived but there was a steady flow of cars coming in the entire time I was getting ready. Parking lot was 95% filled when I finished my dive. Definitely a lot of vacationers.

Maybe they all saw my prediction of good conditions from the other day. :cool:

Jokes aside, I'm glad that you had a nice dive & I'm glad to see that the resource is attracting prolific use.

...and thank you for yet another batch of fantastic pictures.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1040 for a 1301 high tide. It was not particularly crowded when I arrived, but I knew that would last long given the time of year, and the near perfect weather conditions, much like yesterday. Visibility was 40 feet and sea temp was holding at 74f.

Entered to snorkel the trail on the east beach in front of the staircase. Snorkeled the trail for fifty five minutes. Did a REEF fish survey of 45 species. Returned to my truck and donned scuba. Entered the westside, meandered between the seawall and first set pilings. Continued north of the fishing pier, doubled back to underneath the fishing pier. Turned right and headed west to the end of the fishing pier, and towards the channel barrier. Turned right again and headed north northeast to the sand flats there. Doubled back again, heading south between the solid wall stanchion and channel barrier. Turned left and headed east back along the exposed cable to the beach. 130 minutes on an aluminum 63. Of note but not limited too was an Octopus that had taken up residence in a jar. A pair of seahorses, not together. The sand flats covered with variegated sea urchins, a sea cucumber I could not identify, a cockle shell I could not identify, and a pair of Greater Amberjacks. Often I post images of Variegated Sea Urchins to illustrate what they are dragging around with them for protection. Today I found one stacked on top of another. I have seen them bunched together, but never stacked the way these two appeared. Respectively, Lined Seahorse atypical coloring for BHB, Lined Seahorse typical coloring (most common) for BHB, Octopus in a jar, Porkfish, and Stacked up Sea Urchins.

03-15-2024 Seahorse.jpg
03-15-2024 Seahorse1.jpg
03-15-2024 Octopus.jpg
03-15-2024 Porkfish.jpg
03-15-2024 Urchin.jpg

You’re killing me here, Pipehorse. So many things I want to see for myself. My return trip is getting closer, but looking farther away! But please keep feeding my “Jones” for more sights from BHB. 🐙🐡🐠🦐🦀
Best regards,
🐸

Yea, try diving Boston Harbor sometime. It will adjust your perspective. Suddenly a bad day here looks great! :wink:
Jokes aside, conditions here do vary.

As for Anderson connectors, I stock the gray SB50 size & the crimp tool for them in my shop, about 10 miles from BHB. Let me know if you need a fast repair. I may also have one or two of larger sizes & different colors. The color matters. Different colors don't plug together.

I appreciate the offer! I just saw this and I live 4 hours away, plus I've been back home since last Wednesday afternoon. :)

I ordered the parts necessary and the crimping tool the other day, just haven't done the repair yet as I've had a lot of other stuff going on.

This is a couple of days late, but I went to the bridge on Saturday. I had 77 degrees, 10-15ft of vis. I finally finally finally found the elusive squat urchin shrimp. I've been looking for almost 6 months. Not only did I find one, I found three! I haven't pulled the pics off my camera yet since I went diving all day Sunday and returned home exhausted. I spent yesterday rinsing gear, so today I plan to pull my pics and hopefully have something decent to share.

I finally finally finally found the elusive squat urchin shrimp. I've been looking for almost 6 months. Not only did I find one, I found three!
I think I'm going to follow you around one of these days :)

I think I'm going to follow you around one of these days :)
Good luck with that..
:wink:

Any time!
Good luck with that..
:wink:
I'll start with the guy staring at sea urchins .. haha

I'm not sure I can even see those little guys if you two pointed them out.
I just had to look up some videos of squat urchin shrimps, amazing. Please do post a few pics :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom