Blue Hole - Amigos Del Mar - Very Poor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly something has changed, because this is becoming an increasingly common occurrence. One of my good friends and a competent dive instructor here in the Channel Islands just came back from Diving the Blue Hole a couple of months ago with ADM and told me of an identical experience. In fact, one step further, she was monitoring her own computer and NDL's and began to ascend a bit in the water column, only to have the DM grab her by the fin and yank her back down to 130ft. By the way, she ended up with Skin Bends after that dive..
So this is really a true story, you actually know the diver this happened to. I read about this event but couldn't believe it. FWIW, on our trip to the Blue Hole (Belize), I talked with the DMs before the dive letting them know that I prefer not to make deep stops and just continue to the first required stop. They had no problem with that; it seems if you let the DMs know what your plans are before the dive they don't freak out. :)

So this is really a true story, you actually know the diver this happened to. I read about this event but couldn't believe it. FWIW, on our trip to the Blue Hole (Belize), I talked with the DMs before the dive letting them know that I prefer not to make deep stops and just continue to the first required stop. They had no problem with that; it seems if you let the DMs know what your plans are before the dive they don't freak out. :)
Yes, I know her personally and divemaster for her on occasion, when she has larger class sizes.

If a DM grabbed my fin as I was ascending from depth, he or she would end up with the business end of a dive knife in their forearm.

Yes, these stories certainly sound terrible in the telling of them. The main deal is that they don't want to lose anyone in there.

The dive isn't done straight down and straight back up again.

Trailboss, your instructor friend did 3 dives that day, did she not? When did she notice the skin bends?

Yes, these stories certainly sound terrible in the telling of them. The main deal is that they don't want to lose anyone in there.

The dive isn't done straight down and straight back up again.

Trailboss, your instructor friend did 3 dives that day, did she not? When did she notice the skin bends?
The rash appeared after the Blue Hole dive and she went on Oxygen and did not dive the rest of the day or that trip, for that matter.
I was just in Belize 3 weeks ago and dived the Blue Hole and my experience was that we descended as a group, cruised through the stalactites for about 3 minutes and then made our way back up to 15 feet and a very extended safety stop. I was on the Aggressor.

3 minutes!! Wow
My experience has been more like 8 minutes with 20 minute safety stop at 15-20'. I'm generally at 18'. It is a disappointingly short dive, though with reason.

Very sorry for your friend. I've had skin bends twice, no oxygen and never from the Blue Hole dive. (So freaking painful and the bruise type mottling, wah!!) :(:cry:

Back
Top Bottom