Blurfix vignetting with alternate filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, vignetting can always be removed, but only at the cost of resolution and coverage angle.
Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Sure, vignetting can always be removed, but only at the cost of resolution and coverage angle.
Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

True. Good point in general.

However, depending on the amount of vignette you have to crop out, the res and angle coverage can still be very good. Many are are happy with 1280x720 res. If you shoot the GoPro at full 1920x1080 res, you can probably crop out the vignette and still have higher res than 1280. The 120+ deg coverage angle also leaves plenty of coverage after cropping.

Vignette is never a good thing, but it's not necessarily a big deal depending on how you look at it.

So filters not ground down by SRP will experience vignetting in 170 wide modes?

You will notice more vignetting when using filters other than the SRP filters. CY Filter These have been milled down to reduce vignetting or remove it all together.

Why use a clear filter UW and not just the red filter ? What is the pressure test for filters ? Why do you need to pressure test ?

** The color correcting filter is an affordable solution to reintroduce red back into the color channel when diving past 30 ft. This is an alternative to a light system. Although you completely lose red at 30 ft, you start to lose red around the 10 ft mark. (This is only a basic rule for videographers just getting started) In a nut shell you're looking at light penetration. Deeper you go, the less red you have. You wouldn't need a filter if you're doing a shallow dive on a bright sunny day. To much red and your videos come out looking pink!

Take a look at this video. The divers are around 35 ft. ( This is not a GoPro. It is used to demonstrate color correcting filters)

[video=youtube;XsR0a4vyX6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR0a4vyX6Q[/video]

** SRP filters are pressure tested for a depth of 130ft. There is a list of filters included in all BlurFix Packages. Not sure I answered your question.

** You should pressure test alternate filters if you plan on not using SRP filters. Without a pressure test you wont know what depth a filter will fail. Failed lenses will cause the airspace between the GoPro lens/port and the filter to flood and your GoPro will not focus.

On that note... Your GoPro housing should not flood if the lens on the BlurFix fails. The GoPro port lens remains on the camera housing and only the black ring is remove during installation of the BlurFix. Two separate airspace's.

Your filter seals against the external port ? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I am just used to internal filters and external filters that allow a layer of water in between the filter and port.

The BlurFix lens becomes the outer portion of the kit that prevents water from coming in contact with the Camera lens/port. It creates an airspace between the GoPro Lens/port and the water. Without the airspace the GoPro will not focus underwater. Same principle as your scuba mask.

Hope this help? Have a great day!

Last edited:

** SRP Filter are pressure tested for a depth of 130ft. There is a list of filters included in all BlurFix Packages. Not sure I answered your question.

** You should pressure test alternate filters if you plan on not using SRP filters. Without a pressure test you wont know what depth a filter will fail. Failed lenses will cause the airspace to flood and your GoPro will not focus.

On that note... Your GoPro housing should not flood if the lens on the BlurFix fails. The GoPro port lens remains on the camera housing and only the black ring is remove during installation of the BlurFix. Two separate airspace's.

The BlurFix lens is the port and the filter. It creates an airspace between the GoPro Lens and the outer surface of the filter. Without the airspace the GoPro will not focus underwater. Same principle as your scuba mask.

Hope this help? Have a great day!

I think we are mis-communicating on what is actually being pressure tested and the difference between the filter and the Blurfix. I believe the Blurfix lens/port and the UrPro filter are 2 separate items ? You can use the Blurfix with or without the filter. The Blurfix pressure test makes sense since it seals against the original GoPro. Looks like the filter is an external filter that screws onto the Blurfix. I don't think you pressure test the filter.

I could be wrong, this is just my interpretation.

Actually, the way the blurfix works, the filter becomes an integral part of the pressure system. The glass of the filter becomes the barrier to keep water out of the space inside the blurfix. If you don't need tinted filter, you use the included UV/clear filter. If you need a CY or other color, you take the UV Clear filter off, and put the color filter on instead. They use an o-ring and channel inside the threads on the Blurfix to seal against the glass of whatever filter you're using. So, indeed, the glass of the filter needs to stand up to pressure. The structure/frame of the filter, though, is out of the mix as the seal is made directly on the glass.

The good news is, if the filter does fail (or the O-ring, or the seal of the blurfix on the housing itself), the camera should still be safe as the original seals/lenses of the GoPro housing are all still in place.

Actually, the way the blurfix works, the filter becomes an integral part of the pressure system. The glass of the filter becomes the barrier to keep water out of the space inside the blurfix. If you don't need tinted filter, you use the included UV/clear filter. If you need a CY or other color, you take the UV Clear filter off, and put the color filter on instead. They use an o-ring and channel inside the threads on the Blurfix to seal against the glass of whatever filter you're using. So, indeed, the glass of the filter needs to stand up to pressure. The structure/frame of the filter, though, is out of the mix as the seal is made directly on the glass.

The good news is, if the filter does fail (or the O-ring, or the seal of the blurfix on the housing itself), the camera should still be safe as the original seals/lenses of the GoPro housing are all still in place.

Ah, now I understand. I wasn't aware you needed a filter, whether clear or tinted. Sorry, I am old school. Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
LOL, I'm old school, too. Just trying to keep up with these young whippersnappers. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Attention!!! Please be aware that we have had reports of an Amazon seller selling what appears to be the BlurFix. Please be advised that when you purchase from them you will actually be purchasing a flat lens that is not the Snake River Prototyping BlurFix. The only authorized reseller on Amazon is AquaPro HD.

As you go deeper, the pressure increases and pushes the external filter glass against the "O" ring so that the greater the pressure the tighter the seal. The glass does move inward, so use the smallest dessicant balls, the larger ones will get squashed by the glass and you get trash in the air space. That's also why the filter needs to be tested and use the ones that SNP has tested as the glass does move against the "O"ring and could break, and has in some SNP test

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom