Boat dives in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, how are the boat dives done in Roatan, Cocoview in particular?
Are the boats moored or anchored at the site?
DMs lead the dive, then turn around at a certain point and lead everyone back to the boat?
Is it necessary to follow the DM? or do some people go off on their own and then back to boat?
How long are surface intervals before the Drop-off dives? We have Suunto computers and they don't like it if you don't have an hour before getting back in the water.

:Dbooking soon!:D

I can't really answer your question...at all. BUT I saw this post and just wanted to say

Happy Birthday!! :hb2::balloon

Here is the way they did it when I was last there (almost 20 years ago), and hope it is still the way they do it now as I am going back in about 3 weeks. They would have a predive brief on shore before they dive with general layout of the site, and dive profile. Most sites had moorings, and I am sure now ALL sites do as it was a big item they were pushing back then. The divemaster would lead the dive based upon the brief, but it was not a strict follow the leader system (the the exception of "Mary's Place") and divers were free do reasonable alternatives. Almost All dives were wall dives and the profile was generaly, descend to deepest depth, swim into the current along the wall until the half air point, then slowly ascend to the top of the wall along the return with the last part of the dive and approach to the boat happening in 20-40 ft. of water.

Ike

p.s. Surface intervals varied depending on how distant the primary dive site was and how long it took for the last divers to get back to the boat, remember some people go through air a lot faster than others. In general my guess is most were less than 1 hour surface interval, some may only be 15 minutes

So, how are the boat dives done in Roatan, Cocoview in particular?
Are the boats moored or anchored at the site?
DMs lead the dive, then turn around at a certain point and lead everyone back to the boat?
Is it necessary to follow the DM? or do some people go off on their own and then back to boat?
How long are surface intervals before the Drop-off dives? We have Suunto computers and they don't like it if you don't have an hour before getting back in the water.

:Dbooking soon!:D

I just got back from Fantasy Island August 2nd. This is how they did it. Boat went out for the first dive around 9:eek:o there time and anchored. First dive of the week was just a general dive to see the diving skills of everyone. All the following dives the DM would give us a briefing and he would led us to the site. We would dive for about 20 min and then turn back. So each dive was about 40min. All of our group stayed together. We did dive off the dock to the wreck that is between FI and CC on our own. The boats for our resort left at 9:eek:o, 11:00, and 2:00 so we had plenty of time to eat or run around the island between dives. Have fun and enjoy.

I just got back from CoCoView this past Saturday...it was great. My experience was very much like what Isaac-1 detailed.

Anyway, here is the way things happened last week. First, your dive lockers are about 20 feet from the boat you'll be diving on. We were assigned one of the 4 dive boats and we had a small intimate group that got to know each other quickly. Some days there were 8 people others there were only 2 or 3 other divers. Regardless, you quickly learned everyone's skill level and personality.

There is a morning boat dive (2 possible dives) and an afternoon boat dive (2 possible dives). You have a little wooden marker that you put on your dive locker that indicates you want to go on the next boat dive. You show up 5-15 minutes prior to the boat schedule and your BC, reg and tanks are already loaded on the boat. You grab your mask, fins, wetsuit and sunglasses and stroll 20 or so feet to the boat.

The boats hit different dive sites on each outing. For the first boat dive it goes like this: normally there is a bouy and the boat will moore to that and then you descend right above the reef. The divemaster and your group rally up on the descent line and normally you go out to the wall and make a descent to your desired depth. You can be anywhere from 30'-130' (depending on nitrox blend, experience, coordination with the DM, etc.). Our Divemaster just asked that if you were going to be below about 90' that you let him know. When the first person reaches about 1500 lbs., we typically would ascend to the top of the wall and then make our way back to the boat in anywhere from 20'-40' depending upon the location. There are exceptions to this of course, since some of the dives involve a "crack" or crevice in the reef. We also had a boat agreement that if anyone still had air at 1 hour, they would return to the boat so that the "air hogs" weren't sitting too long on the boat.

Anyway, after everyone is back on board you normally take a short break with some fruit and water provided by the crew and start heading back towards CoCoView. If you want, the crew will then "drop" you along one of the two walls (Newman's or CoCoView) and then you dive on your own back to the "front yard" of CoCoView. The group I dove with usually had 25-40 minutes of surface interval between the divesite and drop-off dives (my computer is more liberal) and depending upon when they got back on the boat after the first dive. On the drop-off dive you can tell the crew if you want the short or long drop-off and they will drop you the appropriate distance away. Once you get back to the front yard, if you have the air to spare, then you can spend that time searching around the Prince Albert or the remains of the DC-3, or just nosing around the reef. It was a great way to dive in my opinion!

Then for the afternoon, you just wash, rinse and repeat the morning routine except you go to a different location for the boat dive.

You also have the option of unlimited shore diving at CoCoView. So, if you have the energy and bottom time available then you could log 5-7 dives per day there. I averaged 5 dives per day. One day I did 6, but I was exhausted when it was over.

Best source of CCV info is at CoCo Chat Lots of images here: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3057

Once you get back to the front yard, if you have the air to spare, then you can spend that time searching around the Prince Albert or the remains of the DC-3, or just nosing around the reef.

What a great explanation of CCV diving. I would highlight what you said above- except instead of a 'drop off' dive on the walls, have them consistently plop you atop the Prince Albert Wreck. this shallow treasure is so close to CCV that it is the most inviting night dive I have seen. Get to know it well- do the drop-off dives right on the wreck.

CCV_Map1.jpg

I just got back from Fantasy Island August 2nd. This is how they did it....

Both great written comparisons~ these and the others.

AND if you are an early riser, you can do a before breakfast dive, just grab a tank and go. You can also do a night dive after dinner. So you can do six plus dives in a day. Of course with proper SI's.

Com on Robin, bite the bullet! Join us in April. You know you want to....

BTW, in proper CCV fashion HIPPO BIRDY TO EWE!!!

AND if you are an early riser, you can do a before breakfast dive,

Wake me when it's time for coffee. I'll do my 5th and 6th at night. :coffee:

I have been on many boat trips at CCV where some of the divers would ask for an hour surface interval, never was a problem. The divers at CCV seem to all (with exceptions every third year!) be very safe divers! I will also agree that the pre-dawn dives are some of the best! Great way to start a dive vacation day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom