Boat recommendations? Wifey gets seasick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That gave me a double take. At first I read that as Mescaline. Never mind. As you were. :D

Spend much time on 6th street in the early 90's?? I read it the same way. Lol, maybe a Texas Thing...

I suffer from seasickness too & sympathize completely. there no is worse feeling than being seasick!

Unfortunately, NO boat will be a good enough platform to keep from getting seasick 100% of the time ... I used to get sick on a 400'+ Navy Fast Frigate!... on calm seas. Those calm swells really would get to me more than rough seas. We rode hurricane Iwa in Hawaii in '82(?) on my ship, and I was one of the few people, including our captain, that didn't get sick that night.

the best thing to do, is make sure she has some food on her stomach & takes sea sick meds. Dramamine or Bonnine, either one, a FULL adult dosage (2 pills)

also, it helps to have something like crackers on the boat with you, to keep your stomach full.

I personally get sick much less on the panga (fast boat) than I do on the cabin cruisers ... maybe just me, but getting out to the dive site fast and getting in the water works better than having a large boat. plus, most of the time on a large boat, I can smell the engine exhaust more, which doesn't help at all.

Also have you tried the wrist bands? I hear they can work when meds dont.....

SCC or Dive Paradise boats mean a long, slow trip to the southern sites - which would extend the problematic exposure time. Fast boats can be rough but slow boats will rock more. The only time I ever got seasick was on a large boat that was anchored, rocking, slowly, repeatedly - ugh!

Use a dive op that boards at the Caleta marina near the Presidente to reduce boat time and talk to them about the importane of going to the beach during surface intervals. Tres Pelicans is a popular op with a larger, nice boat that boards there - but Scuba with Alison has a smother, nicer boat I think, a delightful op, and she boards there.

I've spent some time on the open ocean. I've gotten sea-sick. If sea-sickness were an issue for me traveling to the reefs, I'd choose the Maximus. No dog in the hunt here, as I've never met or dove with Alison. I've seen the boat in the harbor though. I would guess that grandma's wig would get blown off in less than 2 minutes.

Stay at a southern resort. Minimal boat travel time. Return to shore after the dive (verify).

You can still use non-hotel dive ops. Use one that stops at a beach between dives.

Has she tried Scopalomine patches? Nothing worked for my wife until she went to those.

I know that they work well for many people but the only time I tried using Scopalomine patches was in Cozumel and it wasn't a good experience. After a couple of days I suddenly lost my near vision! My husband checked the product insert inside the package (I couldn't read it!) and learned that some people experience vision problems as a side-effect to using the drug. So I took the patch off and my vision cleared up in a couple of days, but I decided that they are definitely not for me.

I know that they work well for many people but the only time I tried using Scopalomine patches was in Cozumel and it wasn't a good experience. After a couple of days I suddenly lost my near vision! My husband checked the product insert inside the package (I couldn't read it!) and learned that some people experience vision problems as a side-effect to using the drug. So I took the patch off and my vision cleared up in a couple of days, but I decided that they are definitely not for me.
It's an effective zombie drug used by the CIA and South American bandits. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom