Boat recommendations? Wifey gets seasick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Guns of Navarrone, they mention the use of scopalomine to get info from prisoners. If that is correct, in some doses it has some serious side effects.

Thanks for the suggestions. All great. She's used everything. I just think a fast boat may be the answer. She was fine going to see the whale sharks in IM with an hour ride in 2-4. I agree slow and stinky is like putting gas on a fire for her. Will find fast and 5 stars. Settled. Staying at El Cantil Condos for 2 weeks. Stoked

If you want fast- Scuba with Alison is the way to go. Tres Pelicanos is a close second.
Service and people-wise, it is incredibly difficult to choose between the two; I might have to split my diving next trip. TP does provide a taxi from in town to the marina, so that saves some money if you don't have a car, but if you have on it's moot. They also valet all gear including wetsuits, Alison does not do wetsuits, IIRC.

There are of course other fast boat ops too. I'm not sure anyone's boat is faster than the Maximus, but a few get quite close.

In the Guns of Navarrone, they mention the use of scopalomine to get info from prisoners. If that is correct, in some doses it has some serious side effects.
Like Kathy said, some drugs work for some and not the same for others. All I know is that my wife had a pretty serious issue with boat travel and boat diving. She tried the patch, little to no side affects, and she hasn't gotten sick since she started using them. Like the OP, it affected our vacations and options for diving, it no longer does.

I raised my daughter to not buy into motion sickness - on planes, boats, cars & pickups, etc. Then somewhere along the way, she started getting sick in the backseat on car trips. :idk: She now takes an antihistamine and has to drive more, as the pilot never gets seasick. I do wish she was a safer driver, but she generally stays on the road.

Her daughter gets sick too, and she's way too young to drive. I blame the videos they watch in the back. Looking out of the window would help, but the first 200 miles in any direction here is not very scenic.

I don't think there is any chance in getting the boat to let your wife drive tho. Good luck.

In my opionion, forget about the sea sickness pills, patches, wrist banks, etc. available in the states. Common sea sickness pills available in the states make many SOOO tired. For me personally they make me feel downright lousy. However, in Mexico they have a sea sickness pill that is available there, in Canada I believe and throughout Europe but, of course, the USDA has not approved it so you can't buy it in the states. You However, in Cozumel you can buy it at the larger pharmacies on the back streets (not the ones on the front streets that push Viaraga all day). It is called Cinnarizine. IF you google it you will see it has been cited as one of the most used drugs for seasickness within the British Royal Navy. The owner of our prior dive op recommended it when my wife got sea sick. Furthermore, unlike other sea sickness pills, this one DOES NOT MAKE YOU TIRED and you can even take it IF YOU START FEELING SICK and it will usually reverse symptoms. I would definately recommend it for your wife over anything available in the states. Take it daily before heading out as a precautionary measure.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 02:00 PM ----------

From Wikipedia: "Additionally, cinnarizine can be used in scuba divers without an increased risk of central nervous system oxygen toxicity which can result in seizures, and is a high risk in closed-circuit oxygen diving.[32] This is also relevant to divers who could potentially have to undergo hypobaric decompression therapy, which uses high oxygen pressure and could also be affected by any cinnarizine-induced CNS oxygen toxicity risk. However, cinnarizine does not heighten toxicity risk, and in fact, evidence even seems to suggest that cinnarizine may be beneficial in helping delay O2 toxicity in the central nervous system.[32] There is also evidence that cinnarizine may be used as an effective anti-asthma medication when taken regularly.[33]"

This will sound crazy but it works for me. Get those little alcohol wipes and when she starts to feel sick, open one and sniff the alcohol. I learned this trick from a surgery nurse and it really helps.

Back
Top Bottom