Boating around divers - Harbor Patrol's Role?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm wondering if divers could carry two deflated pouches connected by some steal cable. Inflate the pouches and send it up to hopefully wrap around their propellers. I'm kidding of course. But it is a nice idea. I can't imagine what it would be like to be hit by a prop.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Uneducated boaters will undoubtedly remain an issue. I think it's absolutely the boater's responsibility to watch out for others in the water, but ultimately as divers, it's our life so we should do what we can to make boaters a little more conscientious.

What I'm just as concerned about, though, is the lack of response by Harbor Patrol. This should not be an "everyone get along situation." It should be a move out of the area response.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 05:15 PM ----------

I hope the harbor patrolman involved wasn't from Avalon.

He was.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Uneducated boaters will undoubtedly remain an issue. I think it's absolutely the boater's responsibility to watch out for others in the water, but ultimately as divers, it's our life so we should do what we can to make boaters a little more conscientious.

What I'm just as concerned about, though, is the lack of response by Harbor Patrol. This should not be an "everyone get along situation." It should be a move out of the area response.---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 05:15 PM ----------

He was
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what is your plan of action?

A telephone call to the Harbor Master?
A letter to the Harbor Master?

Or nothing ?

Since your bitched and moaned on the SCUBA board you have apparently fulfilled your responsibility to the underwater world
I would strongly suspect the later ~~~you will do Nothing!

SDM

Sam, go easy, Mr Lopez simply posed a legitimate question? Indeed it's not our responsibility, but boater education is prudent for any diver to try to instill.

Just playing devils advocate here, but there are some questions that I have for the OP.

Were these boats running wide open throttle or were they idling through to find a spot to anchor? There is a huge difference.

Did it ever occur to you that most great diving spots are also great fishing spots? There are no laws that prevent fishing at your dive spot(unless its a special use area).

Would you still have your panties in a bunch is another dive boat slowly motored up and anchored to prepare to dive? If you are ok with a dive boat entering your little buffer zone but not a fisherman, then this has little to do with the fact a boat was operating near your dive flag and a lot to do with you resenting fisherman that are trying to enjoy the same resource you are in a slightly different way.

Sam, go easy, Mr Lopez simply posed a legitimate question? Indeed it's not our responsibility, but boater education is prudent for any diver to try to instill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lopez was there ---he was an eye witness

If he files a complaint to the Harbor Master I suspect there will be a certain amount of education of the patrolman and possibly the rest of the crew.

If he does nothing? --- Same thing every time the officer encounters another diver/fisherman conflict.

Do you recall the posters of the 1950s especially the one of the dead sliced up body? so horrible it was removed -- but I saved one, which I will not post but have used successfully in litigation

Or how about the Florida case when a boat ran over a diver and amputated both feet of the diver -- and continued on his way to the dock..

SDM

I really hate to get into this but I guess I just have to be politically stupid every once and a while

First, the operator involved in this incident works with and for me. She is known for being a bit over the top in trying to keep the arrogant recreational boaters off the divers under her command and control. She has good reason for her attitude. A few years ago an Isthmus Harbor Patrol employee chose to ignore her warnings that he was running over her divers at speed. After she complained to the Harbor Master, the employee went out of his way to harass her. Running close and flipping her off, giving her an "F You" at will, etc. He would go well out of his necessary route to do this. Eventually he was apparently disciplined although we have no idea what was involved.

Second, One of the reasons that we have an attitude about these things is that the boat I used to operate had the distinction of having to do the triage involving two snorkelers at Eagle Reef, One had his head literally cut off, the other had his legs destroyed. Also, they were not associated with the boat, someone else had dropped them off at the area.

For "Doctor Bill", yup, your guys were involved.

Finally, I have been doing this for a very long time. The harbor patrol will try to calm and negate these issues. that's there job, they work for the Island company. The Coast Guard is a reactionary agency. They only react to "licensed operators" They are the only ones that they have any control or influence over. They only care when some one is injured and they have the ability to address the "licensed mariners" involved.

Dr. Miller,

You are hugely disconnected with the current political issues involving the southern California dive community, I respectfully suggest that you refrain from posting subjective admonitions until and unless you have more current political information.

Back
Top Bottom