Bob Foster "Diving the wreck of The Portland"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense to the Portland team. But what RIO is about to do is even more dangerous way more tenacious.

Ed, this coming from you must make you one of the most fearless men on the planet! At least that's one way to put it. :rofl3:

She wants to come out on the boat with us this summer and at some point wants to get certified too. She also does not want kids.

So I don't believe my diving days are even close to over! Sorry no gear sale.

just gotta bust your stones while I can!! I think I may also have Christal talked into coming out in the boat, and actually saw her dig out her c-card the other day. Need to do some refreshers but hope to get her in the water this summer. Thinking Pinnacle and Lightburne would be good ones.

I missed this presentation, no chance it is posted online anywhere is it?

Not that I'm aware of. Bob gave a nice presentation. Well balanced, covering the design of the Portland, the event time line prior to the sinking and the specifics of the dive itself. Unfortunately the presentation was only about 20 minutes. I wish he could have gone on! I really wanted to learn more about the logistics of the dives and the training the dive team underwent in preparation. Don Morse one of the divers, was my OW instructor. He said they visited the site 7 times and dove it only 3 times. He told me they had a 16 minute bottom time and something like 3 or 4 hours of deco time over several stops, the first one at something like 320 feet!

Not that I'm aware of. Bob gave a nice presentation. Well balanced, covering the design of the Portland, the event time line prior to the sinking and the specifics of the dive itself. Unfortunately the presentation was only about 20 minutes. I wish he could have gone on! I really wanted to learn more about the logistics of the dives and the training the dive team underwent in preparation. Don Morse one of the divers, was my OW instructor. He said they visited the site 7 times and dove it only 3 times. He told me they had a 16 minute bottom time and something like 3 or 4 hours of deco time over several stops, the first one at something like 320 feet!

Actually it was about 20 minutes on the dive and 40-50 minutes about the history of the ship, the presentation was just over an hour and was well recieved. Our gratitude goes out to Bob and his team for showing us a great time.

Back
Top Bottom