Boca Spelonk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Scubaboard has recently had several reviews on east coast dive sites which I think is a great idea. So with Jersey's encouragement, here is my experience diving Boca Spelonk with dive guide Bas Tol.

Bas met us at Hamlet Villas (we were staying at Beachcomer Villas), loaded his gear into our truck then off we went. It was a little breezy but after confirming our dive history and willingness, he decided to try Boca Spelonk on the east side. It was an interesting drive out. Dirt roads the last section.

After surveying the dive site and reviewing the dive plan, we suited up and walked down to the entry. Bas loaned Eric his 100's and used Eric's 80's so we would have more bottom time. Bas started by demonstrating entry and exit procedure and warning do's and don'ts. I wasn't too worried about entry but I knew exiting was going to be a Pita for me. I have no hand/upper body strength (I'll explain later).

IMG_4379.jpg

Boca Spelonk. Consistent with Bonaire, there is a short rocky ledge you must step down from to enter the water.

IMG_4375.jpg

Entry is at the lower right corner. There is a path through the water and between the rocks. You time the entry with the waves, stepping carefully until you reach an underwater rock ledge that you dive over into a calmer pool area. From there, you swim through a cut through to open water.

I admit I did a "follow the guide" dive and did not check my compass. By the dive briefing, we started the dive headed northward where there is a small "cavern" that has an opening at the top that looks back out to the ocean. Two nice sized lobsters were sitting on a ledge there.

IMG_4337.jpg

We then continued the dive southward, eventually following the surge back to the cut through to the calm area where I gathered my nerve for the exit. Again, you time exit with the waves. First, you ride a wave to a rock to the right, grab on (this is where I screwed up), wait for the next wave, ride that to the next ledge then carefully (there are sea urchins) climb out. Bas went first which was good since I could not hang on to the first rock so was basically pushed into the next. After several graceless tries and Bas's assistance, I was able to make it back on shore with only a few new scrapes and bruises.

The dive itself was not difficult. The surge at the end was noticeable and I do recommend some experience with this type of dive but should not pose a problem unless you are sensitive to this sensation.

IMG_4322.jpg

It was a nice dive. Lots of shelf coral.

IMG_4339.jpg

No large critters this dive. Our total dive time 63 minutes and max depth 80 feet. With Bas there is no time limit. Worth the effort once but I don't feel compelled to do it again.

IMG_4348.jpg

Last edited:
Well said! Having been out to Boca Spelunk in March, I am amazed Bas finds a way to get in and out. My buddy has always wanted to shore dive this side and thanks to this info have a way to accomplish his mission. Thanks so much for posting and I am out of here to pack up gear for a weekend at the quarry.

Is Boca Spelunk north of a light house and near a cave? If so, I believe that is a site which we were going to dive with Bas but the water and weather made the entry and exit too dangerous. I appreciate your description and photos of your dive. Sounds like quite an adventure! Next time we visit Bonaire, I will check with Bas and see if he can take us up North to Taylor Made and Candyland. I know he specializes in diving the East side, but I hear amazing things about those Northern sites. I am just apprehensive since those sites are so isolated.

Hi Morecowbells! Here is a link to wikimapia (if it works)

Boca Spelonk

There is a map and this info:

"Boca Spelonk is a small cove near the underground limestone caves on Bonaire's Eastern Coast. Offering little aside from scenery, the truly intrepid (or crazy) attempt shore dives from Spelonk on calmer days when entry and exit from the shore is not a guarantee of fatality."

I think they are over stating the difficult a bit! :D

I loved Candyland and found the entry one of the easier on Bonaire (but then it was my next dive after Boca) and well marked. Bas gave great directions to dive it and I think would make a great guide for it if you feel uncomfortable with the isolation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom