Bodybuilding physique and Freediving a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver:
No you are not doomed! Don't give up.:D I am 6'5" and weigh 240 lbs and I am quite pleased with what I can do in the water. Personally, I feel that virtually anyone can become highly efficient in freediving. I also feel that our greatest barrier is, and will continue to be, mental weakness and not physical attributes.

Geez dude!!! :confused:

You're not built like the typical freediver.. :wink:

I'm 5'11" and hovering around 208. Have been pouring over Umberto's book and so much of what the books states is becoming second nature when I do my pool training. There is no "Correct" finning technique - only more efficient - but this is stipulated on body style, conditioning, etc. The section on the psychological aspects of freediving are a revelation.

If you look at both Umberto's and Pipins physiques, they were markedly different, yet, they are both excellent freedivers. I'm built more like Pipin and I still can move efficiently through the water - my recent 50 meter dynamic was almost effortless - the only challenge being the urge to breathe finally got to me. Utilizing all that I'm reading has taken me to a new level in my perspective of freediving.

I haven't usually promoted something like a book, but once I assimilate Umbero's manual, I will be looking into doing an Apnea Academy coourse to refine my technique and work towards their Instructor Status.

I'll be glad to get my bloody PADI DM course done and out of the way - tank diving is too much work.. :wink:

5ata:
Geez dude!!! :confused:

You're not built like the typical freediver.. :wink:
No, I eat typical freedivers as a surface interval snack.:D
Hey Cliff, what kinda kickback do you get on referring Umberto's book?:D Just teasing...and I would agree it is a fabulous read and resource. Keep up the training! Also, did anyone notice the editorial letter in this months edition of Aquatics magazine? Calling for a ban on breath-holding at pools. I am carefully putting my response together. PM me if you would like to help articulate this.

freediver:
No, I eat typical freedivers as a surface interval snack.:D
Hey Cliff, what kinda kickback do you get on referring Umberto's book?:D Just teasing...and I would agree it is a fabulous read and resource. Keep up the training! Also, did anyone notice the editorial letter in this months edition of Aquatics magazine? Calling for a ban on breath-holding at pools. I am carefully putting my response together. PM me if you would like to help articulate this.

Kickback? nada..

I feel so strongly about PROPER fredive instruction that if I find something worthwhile, I get the word out. Aharon Solomons was/is a huge influence in my training right now. He knows Umberto personally and the late nights we had talking were eye opening. You should hear the stories - meeting Pipin, Umberto - training in Siberia, telling PADI to go screw themselves, stuff like that.

Banning breath holding at pools??? - well then I guess that means no diving into the pool then. can't very well jump off a diving board and breath at the same time. :huh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom