Boltsnap breakaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I understand this correctly, you are looking for a secure hold on a reg that can be freed in a moment to be dispatched or used without much effort. My suggestion is do what I do when cutting in a high voltage panel. I hold the new wires out of the way with cheap wire ties. They are not as good as the wire ties with a stainless clip insert, and will open or break with some effort depending on the size. If you find it's to hard you can experiment with the different sizes available.The cheap cable ties or ty-raps as they are called, are the ones usually found in Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. The ones you do not want to use are the ones from Thomas & Betts, those suckers are tough with the stainless insert. I believe the larger T & B ty-raps are the ones use as hand cuffs by law enforcement. If i am off tangent on my interpretation of your application, Sorry.

Tie-wraps are notorious for giving way at the wrong time.

And for my purposes -- running realistic drills -- replacing them (or retying cave line) becomes a bit of a chore! LOL

Practice??????

Lol now people are running out of gas when you're practicing a valve drill or...s-drill (and the longhose is already out). Come on... This stuff is designed for real diving, not pool/ internet diving. There are layers and layers built in to this stuff to assure that it works VERY well.

If I turn all my own gas off during a drill, I have two options -- turn it back ON, or get gas from a buddy. And yes, I have done both. Neither required a quick-release on the primary regulator hose.

Practice??????

If your buddy runs out of air in the middle of your drill you should look for another buddy or should not be doing the drills with him

And then if he cannot wait 10 secs for you to turn the valve back on and unclip the primary then see #1 more over he can perfectly attach to the clipped off reg. The snap gives planty of space.

Do you use breakaway connectors on your longhose and SPG boltsnaps? What is the Hog position on this and why?

I was taught in my Fundies class many years ago to use breakaway connectors on fixed objects and cuttable connectors on loose objects. I understand that it's no longer taught this way, but I've never found a compelling reason to switch from that method.

Fixed objects - primary reg, SPG, etc. Considered "fixed" because even the boltsnap connection breaks, you can't lose the item because they're "fixed" to your kit via the hose, etc. These items are secured using an O-ring.

Loose objects - backup lights, etc. Considered "loose" because the only thing connecting them to your kit is the boltsnap. If the connection breaks, this item can be lost. These items are secured using cave line.

I prefer that the fixed objects have the breakable connections, because in the event they snag (on a bench or something getting up) the connection will break, or if I snag them on something underwater, I can break them with a hard enough tug and don't have to potentially cut blindly near a hose.

I always carry a spare double ender with me, either on a d-ring or in a pocket, which is the underwater equivalent of baling wire. If the bolt snap connection on my SPG breaks, I could just use the double ender to secure the SPG. It's also come in useful for a variety of other things as well.

The only problem is its tendency to slide down the hose from time to time, off the metal fitting. I don't mind having tried it, but I would be open for a neater suggestion.

I have had exactly the same experience, also using that breakaway for sidemount (and caveline for backmount). Please let us know if you find a solution.

What about a magnetic keeper for primary reg (when not in use) and SPG?

magnetic_octo_keeper.png

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom