Bonaire Coral alive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect the reviewer the OP sited has an agenda. Comparing any reef, anywhere in the world to what is was 30 years ago is going to be negative.

We go to Bonaire at least once a year.

Few of us can.

I sorta can! I first dove Bonaire in 1986 and was there for around the 20th trip in April. What I notice mostly is that we used to say "you don't need to dive deeper than 25 ft to see it all", now I would say 40 ft. The "good" coral has receded about that much all along the lee side of Bonaire. On Klein, we did shallow coral gardens at the end of some dives that look great now--15 ft deep. Bonaire was known as macro heaven in the '80's, with few big animals and it's still the same with one exception--we saw a manta on a dive and some of the same folks saw another the next day. They seem to be hanging out there now, as many other divers and snorkelers have reported sightings over the last year or so! We plan to return for the umpteenth trip next year! But then, we see big animals at home in SE Florida. Dive West Palm for big stuff or Blue Heron Bridge for great macro in waay shallow water! We like Bonaire because shore diving is incredibly easy from the place we stay (most of the resorts on the lee side are like this), the viz is good at around 50-80 ft, and lots of coral and color.

It is certainly true that the elkhorn and staghorn corals are largely gone from Bonaire. But that is also true for most if not all the Caribbean. Efforts are being made to re-establish the species. Whether they were still present in 1984 or not, I do not know. But, I can see that someone might overreact and say things are awful if acres and acres of beautiful elkhorn coral died and left only skeletons behind. We've been going to Bonaire on numerous trips since 2005 and this year (twice) is the first time we can say that rays (eagle, sting and manta) seem relatively common. Chance or change, I do not know.

To the OP, I read that report also before our trip to Bonaire. We had spent the last 10 years in Cozumel, and wanted to try someplace new. We decided to go anyway after tips from others on here, and that report should be tossed. While there is a little coral damage, where isnt there? We greatly enjoyed diving Bonaire. Go for it, you wont regret it!

We just got back from a great week in Bonaire. I have never been there so a 'used to be better' comment is NA to me. We thought the amount of life, and the health of the reefs was stunning! There was some bleaching, some dead sponges, some red algae, but overall it was BEAUTIFUL! I do agree it got a bit monotonous after a while, but we didn't have a bad dive all week! Favorites were Rappel (by boat), Alice, Lake, and La Dania to Karpata on the west side. We loved Forest on Klein and our dives on the east coast around La Cai were stunning! It's hardly the fishless barren wasteland that some would have people believe! Enjoy!!

If you're planning to go to Grand Cayman, I'd say change your plans. We were there in May and were tremendously disappointed in the lack of fish and marine life. Plus, it is wicked expensive. I'd go back to Little Cayman, but would only do one day in GC--to see the Kittiwake again.

We're planning our 5th trip to Bonaire; we've been to plenty of places, but Bonaire is still the favorite for the Caribbean. It isn't as easy to get to as Cayman or Cozumel, but there's great diversity, it's outside of the hurricane belt, and the shore diving is AWESOME.

I think the replies above should reassure you that the diving in Bon is very good and you should enjoy your trip. I would also not write off GC as another destination to try in the future. I understand from Sorrow above and having read her report on her trip that she was disappointed in the diving in GC and not happy about other issues such as the price. I enjoy diving both Bon and GC as they are different islands offering different dive and land experiences. Travel to GC is less expensive and easier (especially from the east coast). Just about everything is more expensive in GC than Bon but GC can be done affordably with some effort. GC has a beautiful 7MB. Bon not so much in the way of beaches. Bon has unlimited inexpensive diving with the freedom to dive 24hrs a day. GC diving is more limited and more expensive, although there is shore diving and it is reasonable if all you need is tanks and weights. Boat diving in GC is much more expensive than boat diving in Bon. In my opinion Bon has consistently better weather and a greater diversity and concentration of marine life. GC has better underwater terrain diversity, impressive shear walls and swim throughs and tunnels. Bon is pretty much a 45 degree slope, not much in the way of shear walls and swim throughs. Bon is less developed and GC more developed. People extremely friendly on both and feel safe on both islands. We like both islands and enjoy what each have to offer. When I feel the need for diving 4-5 times day, being able to grab a tank and go when I want where I want we head to Bon. When we want to dive but also either enjoy being beach front on 7MB or feel the need to enjoy GC's majestic wall diving especially on the North and East end and fun swim throughs we book a trip in GC. Last year we were lucky enough to dive both.

We are wanting to go to Bonaire in Feb. 2014, but I have read so many reviews that the coral is almost all dead and there is no fish life....any recent experiences of folks going there? We are also considering Cayman Islands...anyone have a comparison?
We have dove many places throughtout the world, but are always looking for other places to dive.

where are you finding these reports? Bonaire is VERY fishy, and coral in the shallows at some sites is dead due to wave action, particularly from hurricane a few years ago. Otherwise reefs are great.

watch my videos:
[vimeo]22458641[/vimeo]
fishlife

[vimeo]22263359[/vimeo]
reefs

[vimeo]22313769[/vimeo]
house reef at Buddy Dive

looks pretty fishy to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom