Trip Report Bonaire - December 24 - December 31 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious, if you aren't staying at Captain Don's, then how do you enter the water? I've stayed here twice in the past and there's a sign which says the entrance is for guests staying at the resort only.
I'm currently in Bonaire staying at Den Laman. I asked one of the staff at Dive Friends about Capt. Don's, due to your post, and she said just ask at the dive shop there. Generally, if it's not busy then they will let you, if it's busy they may not. She said the same is true at Buddy Dive.

Erik

'm currently in Bonaire staying at Den Laman. I asked one of the staff at Dive Buddy about Capt. Don's, due to your post, and she said just ask at the dive shop there. Generally, if it's not busy then they will let you, if it's busy they may not. She said the same is true at Buddy Dive.

Erik

How's your trip so far?

I'm currently in Bonaire staying at Den Laman. I asked one of the staff at Dive Buddy about Capt. Don's, due to your post, and she said just ask at the dive shop there. Generally, if it's not busy then they will let you, if it's busy they may not. She said the same is true at Buddy Dive.

Erik
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

How's your trip so far?
It's going wonderfully, but with complications. We had an issue with our flight out of Miami. About an hour into the flight the pilot announced that there was a problem that would cause us to return to Miami, but we were going to need to burn some fuel because we were too heavy to land. So we circled for 45 minutes before touching down again. We did make it to BON an Saturday, but 5 hours late.
My wife completed her open water referral and is now a certified diver!! Very proud of her. For her first post training dive we went to Salt Pier. Unfortunately, she went down twice in the surf and couldn't get back up the second time. She's a determined woman, though, and wasn't going to let that stop her. We took her rig off of her and floated it out to where she could don it and waited till she was ready. She enjoyed the dive quite a bit, saw barracuda, a very large moray eel, and several turtles! Great first dive.
So, the complications are minor, and make good stories.
There are 5 in our group with one other diver and one other open water referral, now newly certified, diver. The other diver and I have had four fantastic dives starting at Bari Reef for our orientation dive, Something Special, Andrea II and Karpata. Karpata is absolutely fantastic!!
By the way, @scubadada , we are loving Tuna at Den Laman!

I'll post a complete trip report when I get home.

Erik

P.S. I'm sure everyone has figured it out that I meant Dive Friends when I wrote Dive Buddy.

There's a clean sand entrance to the left of the pier and a couple of places where you can "waltz in" (holding on to each other) very easily, on the right where everyone parks. You just need to check the shore and pick the right spot before you gear up.

Congratulations to your wife!!! Having taken a few tumbles, I know the feeling. Good reminder to keep your mask on and regs in your mouth during entry and exit until well onto terra firma (or a boat deck).

It's going wonderfully, but with complications. We had an issue with our flight out of Miami. About an hour into the flight the pilot announced that there was a problem that would cause us to return to Miami, but we were going to need to burn some fuel because we were too heavy to land. So we circled for 45 minutes before touching down again. We did make it to BON an Saturday, but 5 hours late.
My wife completed her open water referral and is now a certified diver!! Very proud of her. For her first post training dive we went to Salt Pier. Unfortunately, she went down twice in the surf and couldn't get back up the second time. She's a determined woman, though, and wasn't going to let that stop her. We took her rig off of her and floated it out to where she could don it and waited till she was ready. She enjoyed the dive quite a bit, saw barracuda, a very large moray eel, and several turtles! Great first dive.
So, the complications are minor, and make good stories.
There are 5 in our group with one other diver and one other open water referral, now newly certified, diver. The other diver and I have had four fantastic dives starting at Bari Reef for our orientation dive, Something Special, Andrea II and Karpata. Karpata is absolutely fantastic!!
By the way, @scubadada , we are loving Tuna at Den Laman!

I'll post a complete trip report when I get home.

Erik

P.S. I'm sure everyone has figured it out that I meant Dive Friends when I wrote Dive Buddy.
congratulations on your wife's certification. I wish mine would get the bug and get certified

There's a clean sand entrance to the left of the pier and a couple of places where you can "waltz in" (holding on to each other) very easily, on the right where everyone parks. You just need to check the shore and pick the right spot before you gear up.
Which site are you referring to?

Under the north edge of the pier there's a flat slab that you can enter and exit from. Just like a pool deck, but you have to use the waves a bit.

Which site are you referring to?

Salt Pier.

My wife had hard time getting in the first time, too, *mumble* years ago. Someone stepped in and gave us a hand and told us to "waltz".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom