Bonaire Flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had experience with dependable flights coming from the NYC area? We've done Bonaire twice and had massive delays due to "crew rest". I understand weather problems and safety. However, it seems that the airlines find it difficult to calculate the travel time and amount of rest the crew needs, which means you get to the airport on time, and then you're told you won't be leaving for another 8 - 10 hours due to "crew rest." Just wondering if anyone has flown to and from Bonaire on an airline upon which this does not occur?

I have done the United Newark redeye twice with no issues. We leave for our next trip this Friday night.

I actually like the scheduling. Make sure your room booking guarantees availability for early check-in. The flight arrives about 5AM, we send one member of the party to the car rental while the rest collect bags. We get to the hotel around 6AM, check in and catch a two hour nap. Breakfast is at 8AM and the dive brief at 9AM.

We always get at least three dives on our arrival day with plenty of time for an afternoon nap. The Saturday departure allows us to easily get two dives on Friday morning and be out of the water 18 hours before departure.

Agree with Herbdb. Two trips on the United Newark redeye and no issues. For us getting into the room when we arrive is key. We will pay for the Fri night if we have to so we can get in as soon as we arrive so we can get two hours sleep and get to the 9AM orientation. Waiting outside until midday or later to get in the room is no way to go. We give ourselves 24 hrs before the Sat flight but still get one dive in early Fri AM.

FYI Sorry to tell you Divemonkey, but the red eye out of Newark doesn't exist anymore. I have been doing that flight for 5 years, thought it was great, waking up in paradise.
Well started looking again approx a month ago, finally picked up the phone and called. Flight is gone.
I am now flying out of Philadelphia on 8/17 for 2 weeks. Booked it thru Cheap O Air, online. Have to fly Phillie, to Miami, to Curacao to Bonaire. Sounds like fun, ewwww.
Hope United/continental bring back the redeye, but don't see it happening anytime soon,

Ahhh found it i Knew I read something about this.

[h=2]United Airlines (Continental) Announces 2012 Seasonalization of Flights to Bonaire[/h]
The Newark service will be on hiatus from August 18, 2012 to November 3, 2012. Service will resume on November 10, 2012.

The Bonaire Insider - Category: Air Travel

Sorry Barb but you just picked the wrong time to go. But I still wish I was going.

Has anyone had experience with dependable flights coming from the NYC area? We've done Bonaire twice and had massive delays due to "crew rest". I understand weather problems and safety. However, it seems that the airlines find it difficult to calculate the travel time and amount of rest the crew needs, which means you get to the airport on time, and then you're told you won't be leaving for another 8 - 10 hours due to "crew rest." Just wondering if anyone has flown to and from Bonaire on an airline upon which this does not occur?

We travel to Bonaire ever year, and have been using the Delta flight with a stop over in Atlanta, and have never experinced any delays. Just lucky I guess. Flight departs JFK in the morning and arrives mid afternoon, which gives us time to hit the grocery store and get settled in for the next day of diving. We are scheduled to take the red eye this year. Flying December 1st. Looking forward to being able to start diving the same day. Good luck.

scubadentist

you might look into the above mentioned Delta flight. if Delta out of Atlanta works for you on Saturday it seems like your best bet.
Have done the red eye out of Newark and two of three times had an 11 hour delay. ouch! Will be trying it again this March but Delta is sounding better and better to me.
It will require some complications for us but Delta is in my future.

Last Saturday, we returned from Bonaire on the afternoon Delta flight to Atlanta. The United flight out of Bonaire from that morning was delayed at least 12 hours and some of our friends did not get home in the States until Monday morning! Yikes!

thanks for your info. I love the red eye, like sleeping on the way down and waking up in Bonaire, and diving about 4 hours later.
I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to pass by. We go back in June every year, missed June due to doing a cruise, 1st and last one, but it did take me
to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan. Diving all three, I know now that Bonaire is the only place in the Caribbean I will dive. See more fish in
Bonaire plus love going back to the Black Durgon to see old friends,
Thanks again for the info. Barb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom