Bonaire going down the drain??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitridate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Having been to Bonaire many times over the last 20 years I noticed that the number of poachers fishing in the marine park is steadily increasing every year and the so-called STINAPA "rangers" happily turn a blind eye on this illegal fishing activity while eagerly controlling divers.
What do we divers pay STINAPA for, apparently for yellow paint only. It should be the foremost job of STINAPA to PROTECT the marine park and go after these poachers:voodoo:
To me it is obvious, that these rangers are paid to ignore the poachers, which are local fishermen by the way!!!!
If these poachers continue to empty the marine park Bonaire will be without divers soon and subsequently the tourist business, which is the only major income for Bonaire's citizen, is going down the drain.
I have contacted STINAPA and asked for an explanation, no response!:confused:

Ummm mitridate.. Care to CLARIFY what type of fishing you are talking about? Rod & reel fishing is NOT a prohibited activity.
Spearfishing is.
Poachers??? That word is applicable to taking a protected species. What species are we talking about? Sounds to me like your posting is a mere diatribe without any facts to support it. Could be a reason that's why STINAPA ignored you.

Indeed this statement needs some clarification. I live on Bonaire and work in the dive industry so I am under water a lot. I have not seen any poaching in a loooooooong time. Like Vince already said fishing is allowed with rod and reel (or hand line). Also it is allowed to catch bait fish with small casting nets.

Now spearfishing is prohibited BUT....you may have seen lionfish hunters and been under the impression that they were poachers. It is very important to keep lionfish numbers down on the reefs and the method we use now is small hand spears (ELF's) that are issues by STINAPA. Many people (myself included) hunt very actively and since the fish tastes DELICIOUS I bring up any decent sized ones in a catch bag (I use a dry bag for this). To be allowed to use this spear we have taken a course and workshop with STINAPA and we are working under a very strict contract with STINAPA for this use. I sure hope this is what you witnessed and hopefully my explanation explains the situation a bit. It's a pity that your dive operator did not explain this during the marine park orientation.

Sunny regards!

Ummm mitridate.. Care to CLARIFY what type of fishing you are talking about? Rod & reel fishing is NOT a prohibited activity.
Spearfishing is.
Poachers??? That word is applicable to taking a protected species. What species are we talking about? Sounds to me like your posting is a mere diatribe without any facts to support it. Could be a reason that's why STINAPA ignored you.

Dear DiverVince,
poaching stands for illegal hunting, spearfishing or fishing. Fishing, even with a handline in a marine park is an illegal activity.
And these "fishermen" are brazen enough to sometimes even utilize the buoys for mooring their boats while going after the fish. And they don't care if divers are in the water near by!
Just go there and look for yourself, I will be there again this week and will take pictures.
And my mail is not diatribe:no:, I have witnessed a massive decline of fish populations and size of fishes in Bonaire over the last 20 years, and this is certainly not caused by the increase of lionfishes. Lionfishes don"t go after big Schoolmaster or Porgies, but fishermen do:D
I have spoken to a number of dive operators on Bonaire and contrary to what Bas Noij mentioned in his mail, they all agreed with my observations and bitterly complained about STINAPA lack of interest to stop these guys.
Just open your eyes:) guys.........

I don't have intimate knowledge of the area, but I can say that while a Lionfish cannot eat a larger adult fish it can still decimate the large adult fish populations as they pray on them when they are in the fry and juvenile state. Not saying that is the reason here just pointing out it could be a contributing factor.

Mitridate,

it sometimes is useful to check for things on the internet yourself.
Information is your friend...

from the stinapa website: STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park

Fishing

Bonaire is popular for fishing. We recommend targeting blue water fish and leaving our reef fish on the reefs. Trolling along our protected west coast often attracts tuna, wahoo, barracuda or mahi mahi. The best places to bone fish are Lagun or the Sorobon side of Lac, in the area called ‘Aw’i Meuchi”. Bone fishing or any type of fishing activity is not allowed in the salt flats. Fishing can only be done with line and hook. We recommend practicing catch and release at all times. Taking sea turtles or conch, or using a spear gun or hand spear is prohibited by law.

The local fisherman you see fishing on our reefs have been doing so for generations. To many it is their only source of income. Please do not cut their fishing lines!

Now you are informed... It is absolutely legal...

Dear DiverVince,

Just go there and look for yourself, I will be there again this week and will take pictures.
And my mail is not diatribe:no:, I have witnessed a massive decline of fish populations and size of fishes in Bonaire over the last 20 years,.
Just open your eyes:) guys.........

Well, I guess as the song says, "we just disagree".
I just got back last week from a 3 week stay on the island and certainly did not in any way shape or form see "a massive decline in fish populations".
And, by the way I've been diving the reefs on Bonaire since 1985.

Mitridate,

it sometimes is useful to check for things on the internet yourself.
Information is your friend...

from the stinapa website: STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park

Fishing

Bonaire is popular for fishing. We recommend targeting blue water fish and leaving our reef fish on the reefs. Trolling along our protected west coast often attracts tuna, wahoo, barracuda or mahi mahi. The best places to bone fish are Lagun or the Sorobon side of Lac, in the area called ‘Aw’i Meuchi”. Bone fishing or any type of fishing activity is not allowed in the salt flats. Fishing can only be done with line and hook. We recommend practicing catch and release at all times. Taking sea turtles or conch, or using a spear gun or hand spear is prohibited by law.

The local fisherman you see fishing on our reefs have been doing so for generations. To many it is their only source of income. Please do not cut their fishing lines!

Now you are informed... It is absolutely legal...

I completely disagree with you. Allowing fishing in a protected marine park is like using lions to guard sheep.
This stupid STINAPA statement clearly shows how sick these people must be. It is long overdue to replace the STINAPA management with people having some common sense left. Unless of course Bonaire's government is keen to get rid of vacationing divers:popcorn:
And by the way, our local fishermen have been fishing in the North Sea for generations, and surprise, surprise, the fish are gone..how come?:shocked2:

And by the way, our local fishermen have been fishing in the North Sea for generations, and surprise, surprise, the fish are gone..how come?:shocked2:

Perhaps because they use nets and not lines? Perhaps because they work on industrial scale in the north sea?

I find it strange that you disagree with me.
I'm not stating that I am for or agains the fishing.

You stated that the fishing was done illegaly and I have provided you with info that it is not illegal.

Are you saying that you know better? Because perhaps you can also solve the legislation of some other countries?

So again my point: the fishing you have observed is legal according to the local legislation. It is not up to us to say how another country should make up its legislation.
If you bother yourself with the German legislation, I will busy myself with the Belgian legislation and I'm sure the Bonairians will do the same...

PS: I realize that I'm feeding the troll... considder this as your last meal. :)

Perhaps because they use nets and not lines? Perhaps because they work on industrial scale in the north sea?

I find it strange that you disagree with me.
I'm not stating that I am for or agains the fishing.

You stated that the fishing was done illegaly and I have provided you with info that it is not illegal.

Are you saying that you know better? Because perhaps you can also solve the legislation of some other countries?

So again my point: the fishing you have observed is legal according to the local legislation. It is not up to us to say how another country should make up its legislation.
If you bother yourself with the German legislation, I will busy myself with the Belgian legislation and I'm sure the Bonairians will do the same...

PS: I realize that I'm feeding the troll... considder this as your last meal. :)

Sorry, but I continue to disagree with you. Marine parks are created to PROTECT fish, not for fishing.
Bonaire is a good example how NOT to run a Marine Park, but on the other hand, it is a typical example of what happens when corrupt societies and governments are in charge.
By the way, we are currently on Bonaire and counted a total of 8 local guys spear fishing on April, 3rd, a sad record even for Bonaire, not to mention the fishing boats.
And incidentally the local Newspaper "The Reporter" has published a letter to the editor, in which concerned divers are raising their voices because of the brazen fishing activities in the Marine Park, including the voice of Capt. Don, bitterly complaining about the stupidy of locals going after the reef fishes.
Enjoy your fish:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom