Bonaire or Belize-please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am kind of partial to Belize because I lived with the people there for 4 months. If you want to combine some great diving with some great land exploration, Belize is your place. Not only can you dive the Blue Hole but you can also visit several of the Mayan ruins. In fact if you have the time I would suggest crossing the border into Guatemala and hitting Tikal.

If you want diving, diving, and diving hit Bonaire.

I dive the Great Lakes here in Michigan so anything warm is always a nice change.

What are the standard rates for a boat dive in Bonaire? Are the boat dives 2 tanks or one tank?? I have heard that you can rent a pickup and drive aroung the island diving at different sites-true?? Where do you get the tanks for these dives? back at your hotel?? What dives do I want to take a boat to see??

Thanks.
Mike

I can only speak for the Plaza Resort where I stayed, and Toucan Diving for the rates of the tanks. Actually go to http://www.toucandiving.com or http://www.plazaresortbonaire.com
That will give you most of your answers.
Yes, you can take a jeep and travel around to many of the marked shore dives. With Toucan shore diving is free. Take a tank and return it. 24 hours a day.
There are 80 dive sites in Bonaire. Most of them can be done from the shore. It's when you dive Kline Bonaire that you need the boat. Of course the windward side is much harder to dive. Diving would only be when the boats could get in, on that side. I never saw any markers there for shore diving.
:sunny:

Buff,
The "going rate" on Bonaire for 6, one tank boat dives is about $100 but the best deal is to get an unlimited shore diving package, the going rate for that is about $100 as well ($200 for Nitrox). We don't bother with boat diving, we just get a truck, an unlimited shore package and dive. Best deal I have found is at Buddy Dive, http://www.buddydice.com . Their "dive and drive" package has it all, condo, truck, unlimited air and buffet breakfast. As for getting to the shore dive, it's as simple as pulling up to a small parking area, marked by a large yellow rock, gearing up and going in. Dives can range from shallow reef to a 100 ft wreck dive. A boat dive over to Kline Bonaire is nice but I would wait for a latter trip, plenty of shore dives to pay extra for a boat dive. Percedures for getting tanks vary from operator to operator but at Buddy for example, they have a drive thru tank pick-up area, drive up, drop off empties, pick up the tanks you want and go..24x7. And best of all, I will be there doing it in 22 days!

Herman-
My wife and I are going to Bonaire on July 3rd and will be there for 8 nights(don't ask me why it's 8 nights and not 7). Thank you for the info. We are going to be staying that the Divvi Flamingo-not the nicest place on the island-They charge $78.00 US for 6 days of unlimited shore diving. I would assume that this means you can't take a tank somewhere else on the island you have to dive from their dock.
Again, thanks again. Have you dove the Hila Hooker(I just like to say that name)?

Divi's not bad! I've been there several times. It's w/in walking distance of town.
They do let you take tanks off site and the boats aren't bad.
Diving at the hotel is terrific. Lots of octopus at night under the dock.
One of my favorite dives in Bonaire is "thousand steps". You might want to take the boat to that one. If you drive there, you'll be carting your stuff a thousand steps straight down and back up.
I have a friend who has a time share there. He's comming over here later so I'll have him drop you a line too.
We'll be going back in November. Can't wait.
Have fun.

I am debating between Bonaire and Cozumel for Nov. or Dec.
How far from your truck are the dive sites in Bonaire? Is it far?
I dive Long Island NY, by the time I get my stuff to the beach I am ready for a nap. There is a lot to be said about jumping off the side of a boat.
Mike

Buff, this is just rumor but from what I have heard, Divi was on the way down but they got a new manager a couple of years back and he has done great job of restoring the place. I have not heard any bad reports in a long while and believe me, the guys on the Bonaire board are as hard core about Bonaire as this one is about diving. As for taking tanks off site, sure you can. I have done the Hooker several times, it's a nice dive. If you look just off shore, you will see 2 (maybe 3) bouys that mark the bow and stern of the ship. I just take a compass heading right between them and head out. The reef will slowly taper down to about 30 ft at which point it will drop at about a 45 deg angle to 100 ft. Once you get to this drop, look ahead, you can see the wreck. I usally do a free water crossing to the side of the ship at about 60 ft and then work my way down one side, loop the ship and then back up the other side.

Mike, the distance between where you park your truck and the water varies somewhat say from 100 ft to 25 ft but I can get as close as 4 feet at some places (Thousand steps IS as exception).You can do boat dives if you want but I like the freedom of shore diving, mainly the lack of crowds and no time schedule. As to the question of Bonaire vs Cozumel, well guess it depends on what you want. I like the quitness of Bonaire. If you are looking for lots of shops, people and night life then go the Cozumel, if you want lots of quite evenings with all the diving you can stand, friendly locals and good food then Bonaire. The max distance is maybe 8 miles to a dive sire and some great sites are less than 2 miles and don't forget, most of the hotels (Divi, Sand Dollar, Buddy,Lions Dive just to name a few) are located on the water and you can dive off their docks as well. Thats where I usally do my night dives.

Herman,
Sounds like bonaire is my kind of place. Any idea of dive conditions in Nov.or Dec.?
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom