Bonaire Poll, treacherous shore diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most of this except for the regulator. In fact, after checking my air on shore, I turn it off since I use my snorkel for the surface swim out to the dropoff.
And w/o the reg in your mouth, it's easier to scream at your buddy if the entry is a bit tricky...

Not a good idea to shut air off for a surface swim.Why would you have to do that? If its because it free flows then get it fixed.You loose ability to use your power inflator for the bcd if you or your buddy needs additional buoyancy assistance on surface.
Good idea to use snorkel for the short surface swim.

Last edited:
I try to back my pickup truck as close to the water as possible. From there I extend a 20ft ladder into the water on a slight 20 degree angle....this allows me to exit the water without having to deal with all that nasty rock.

I get a Marine Park tag for the ladder and all is well.

Really?! Wow... I would think it would be much harder to use the ladder than not.

Well I strongly suspect the problem is that you "went all over the west side". There are many sites on the west side which my wife with RA & bad ankles is not capable of diving.. BUT, there are many sites which are EZ where you can just walk right in..Just to name a few...
1. Something Special
2. The Rock
3. Windsock
4. Oil Slick (jump in)
5. Bachelor Beach
You have to be careful choosing sites to dive.
Vince, you left off Small wall :)
All very nice EASY entry sites. If a diver has difficulty with shore diving in Bonaire ,then they should take a look at themselves get physically fit for that type of diving or choose boat dives only. Nothing wrong with acknowledging to yourself that your fitness level is unfit for Bonaire shore dives, maybe try to do something to change that. At almost 60yrs of age I know I cannot do what I did back when I was in my 20's or 30's.I still keep in shape by biking/swimming/walking the dogs for 2 or 3 mile walks.Maybe by the time I hit 80 I'll be diving only off the boats hopefully.

Not a good idea to shut air off for a surface swim.Why would you have to do that? If its because it free flows then get it fixed.You loose ability to use your power inflator for the bcd if you or your buddy needs additional buoyancy assistance on surface.
Good idea to use snorkel for the short surface swim.

Free flow, yes, on my octo, not my main reg, but only when over 3000 psi.
I'll take the damn octo off and plug the LP outlet. Octos are for wimps anyhow.
Power inflator not needed on surface; mouth inflation works just fine.
On Bonaire, oft times I'm solo diving as it turns out...

Really?! Wow... I would think it would be much harder to use the ladder than not.

You really did not think that was a serious suggestion did you? :shakehead:
:rofl3: What you think the odds would be of returning to find the ladder anywhere near the site? :idk:

For that matter, what do you think the odds would be of ever seeing that ladder again, period? This is Bonaire you realize and ladders are probably covered somewhere under the precaution, to leave NOTHING in the trucks! :idk:

Free flow, yes, on my octo, not my main reg, but only when over 3000 psi.
I'll take the damn octo off and plug the LP outlet. Octos are for wimps anyhow.
Power inflator not needed on surface; mouth inflation works just fine.
On Bonaire, oft times I'm solo diving as it turns out...
"Octos are for wimps" first time I heard this one...yes oral inflation of bcd works fine,except when you need to assist your buddy quickly on surface and the s*** hits the fan and you cannot orally inflate.But you show that you do not care about your buddys safety by putting yourself and him/her at risk by using faulty gear.
Solo diving is ok,with proper attitude and ability.By your statements I would question your attitude and attention to maintain your gear if the oct free flows,its not supposed to do that,get it fixed.Sounds like a high pressure leak in your 1st stage. if it happens with a 3000 psi + fill.

My wife did not find the shore entries particularly easy because of the numerous holes in the coral that added a very real danger of tripping and ankle injury. On all but the most benign shore entries I had her enter the water until waist or chest deep, with mask and snorkle on and fins in hand. I inflated her BCD, put the tank/bcd in the water and then floated it out to her and then returned for my own gear. If the footing was dicey, I did the same with my gear. Stable footing is a lot easier without the weight of tank, bcd, and weights on the body. Did the same in reverse on water exit. I figured if we fell, it would be less painful to do a belly or butt flop without the extra weight on the back. I am sure I looked like a wimp, but heh, we did not get banged up and ruin a good dive trip.

In fact, after checking my air on shore, I turn it off since I use my snorkel for the surface swim out to the dropoff.

:shocked2:

Mental note, when in Bonaire NEVER dive with someone I don't know.

Holy smokes.

When I hear someone complaining about the difficulty of Bonaire shore entries I begin to wonder what other shore diving conditions they are familiar with. Yes, there are potholes in the coral, some drop offs you may not see, etc. It is the ocean, not your local lake or quarry.

What you do not have, unless you want to try shore diving Bonaire's East side, is pounding surf to deal with, like so much of my experience in Mass and Maine as a youth, or the Pacific Ocean where my younger brother learned to dive. Those were hard entries. My brother had a couple favorite sites in CA, that he visited regularly, to collect lost gear that had been left in the surf line by inexperienced, or unlucky shore divers.

To us, Bonaire is a walk on the beach. Not that we have not fallen there. Heck, I can trip over my own feet on dry land!

Bonaire has surge, and it varies from day to day, and from site to site. If we have set our sights on diving southern sites, but see that the seas are up we sometimes try the sites north of town, or if it looks particularly rough that day we hit Bari Reef off buddy dive, or some such site with ladder entries. There are also the very sheltered site such as Something Special, Yellow Sub, etc which offer good diving, but with bath tub easy entries nearly every time.

Back
Top Bottom