Bonaire Resort Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishstout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife & I are planning a trip to Bonaire in early September and have basically narrowed down our choices of accommodations to:

Eden Beach

Plaza Resort

Sand Dollar

We have read a variety of posts but are looking for both positive & negatives for each based on experience to help us make our choice and are really looking for people who have stayed recently.

Thanks, Sean

Just returned from Bonaire...stayed at the Divi. If you are looking to save a few bucks, it's great. The service is great, but highly recommend that you make contact with the GM (which greatly enhances the service) before arriving, with a list of personal needs/wants for your trip.

The diving there is amazing. I did 20 or so dives in my 6 days, each of them worth writing home about.

Word of caution...there were several people who had camera and computer equipment stolen out of their bags in Miami, on the way down/back (including me). Has nothing to do with any resorts...but something to watch out for... apparently Miami baggage control, is outta control.

If you need any specifics on sites, let me know.

What are you looking for in a dive resort? Tell us what kind of accomodations you want, what kind of atmosphere, what kind of diving, what kind of food and bar, what kind of budget you have and someone around here can probably answer your questions. Otherwise, with all the reports that have already been posted about Bonaire, you probably aren't going to get much new information.

On the other hand, don't overthink the selection process. The resorts on Bonaire tend to cater to sub-groups of dive travelers but none of them disappoint. The best solution may be to relax and pick the one that sounds most like you, then go and have a good time.

Plaza was great i would stay there again without having to think about it. No negative comments about the resort. Eveything was exceptional. do a search i have a trip report out there.

We just got back from Sand Dollar. For our needs it was perfect. We had a large two bedroom condo for our family of four, with two baths, a large porch/balcony and a good sized kithcen. Very comfortable and well equipped. There are four restaurants either on site or a very short walk to neighboring rests. There is also a decent small grocery store, a bank and a gift shop/internet cafe close by.

Immediately next door is Bonaire Dive and Adventure - a very good dive shop with great facilities. They run at least three boat dives per day and have wonderful diving right off their dock on Bari Reef. They offer Nitrox and full rentals as well as very good activities for kids and a range of Padi course for adults. We liked the divemasters and staff. Good folks.

Sand Dollar is very low key and quiet. It seems to attract a mix of families and couples, mostly American but with a good mix of European and South American folks. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only complaint about Sand Dollar is a very small quibble - the landscaping could use some work. It isn't as lush as Buddy Dive or Lion's Den next door. As I said, a quibble. Sand Dollar met our needs quite well. Whether it is right for you would depend on what you are looking for.

It all depends on what you want ...and your needs. If you MUST stay at a place that is right on the water...fine. But if you want to save a good bit of money...and not be right on the water....I would recommend www.goldenreefinn.com ...
It is a great place and very economical

Eden Beach is nice resortwise. They have nice rooms and the dive shop staff was personable. They had a small drive-up tank exchange in the parking lot. The reef associated with the hotel is barren with only coral rubble. There are two wrecks, the Our Confidence to the left and a small cruiser just off the resort where the Webcam is located now. The beach is covered with bits of seaglass.

The Sand Dollar has one of the nicest reefs on the island off its pier. Bari Reef along with Buddy's Reef and Capt Don's reef are reported to have more varieties of marine life than any other reef in the caribbean. the Sand Dollar's rooms are older but they are large and comfortable. I didn't see that the Mango Restaurant associated with Sand Dollar is back open.

Buddy Dive Resort shares the Bari Reef system between Sand Dollar and Capt Dons. They have nice rooms. The dive operation is fantastic with a drive up fill station. They have more than 1000 tanks in inventory and also offer unlimited nitrox packages.

The plaza resort is south of town and from the outside do not offer the ambiance that I am searching for in a caribbean island. They are large and fancy and you just may as well go to the big City. If fancy is what you're looking for this is your place. I have never dived the reef near the resort so do not know how their house reef is. You may pm Bruce Bowker and ask that question as his resort is the next one up toward town from the Plaza.

If you are new to Bonaire I recommend that you stay at one of the resorts first. While you are there check out some of the smaller hotels and dive places and you just may find your dream spot.

If you are adventurous take a ride with Larry's Wild Side and dive the windward side of the island. Well worth the trip.

Do get a package with rental car included or budget for a car. The main draw for Bonaire is the total diving freedom that you may experience. Also invest in a pair of boots with hard soles. Scubapro makes a nice one and a company called NRS makes a fantastic boot called a River Boot that the Navy Seals wear. Do a search for NRS River Boots. Your feet will say thank you thank you thank you!

Tom.....why do you feel one must stay at a resort on their first trip? The only "advantage" of a resort that I saw when in Bonaire was that they are on the waters edge.....and they have a bar somewhere on site to gather at and party a little.

While the GRI isnt right on shore....it is new (totally revamped) and the rooms are much better than the ones I saw at many of the resorts. I enjoyed being able to crash early and not have a bunch of revelers (drunks) making all kinds of noise outside my room. And, the biggest advantage to the GRI to me is.....as a single diver....if I go by myself...they dont make me pay twice the amount for a room to myself. That alone will keep me going back there.
Each has its advantages but I dont really think the resorts are all they are cropped up to be.
Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom