Bonaire Resort Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that 18 Palms is a nice dive. My observations are similar to what has been stated in previous posts. The beginning/ending of the dives goes through dead coral that would give you the idea that it isn't a good reef but once you get below 30 feet it is just as amazing of a dive as other parts of the island.

Here are some pics I took

irishstout:
My wife & I are planning a trip to Bonaire in early September and have basically narrowed down our choices of accommodations to:

Just spent a week at Plaza. It's called "fancy" by some, but of course, you have to put that in Island perspective. I did go by the other places thinking what I might do for next trip. All the more 'resort-like' places look ok. Personally, I did like the Plaza. The main thing for me was I needed a place that would work for a woman friend who doesn't dive and that would work for me as a solo diver. Turned out she didn't come along and being at the Plaza really worked out for me as it was easy to find dive buddies both for the boat dives, (which is easy), but also to partner up with to go shore diving with. While I'd heard a lot about theft, etc. I had zero problems there. Even though I found by accident that my sliding glass door would open with a good yank even when locked. Wise to put a blocking bar down to avoid that.

If I go again with dive buddies, I'll probably stay in a "divier" location now that I know my way around Island. But if solo, I'd again do resorts and probably the Plaza. For one thing - at least at Plaza - everything's right there. Short walk to dive pier where you can just sign up on the white board for boats or take a course. (I did a Nitrox course with George and the marine park orientation dive with Ronald. Both great guys, knowledgeable, fun to hang with, etc. etc.) The other divemasters on the boat dives also seemed to know every piece of coral. They have tanks set up not only at the dive pier for drive up, but out by their beach for when you want to shore dive on their local reef called 18 Palms. This is espeically convenient for a night dive or two.

There are tennis courts, but being a cold climate NY'er, I can't imagine playing other than at 5 in AM or after 6 PM due to heat. Other than that or windsurfing, I can't really imagine what non-divers do on this Island. Yes, there's some wildlife, but... basically if you're not diving, that's it. The "city" as they call it is tiny. Everyone there is great, but there is really not that much going on except for the diving. The other advantage of the resorts, at least the Plaza, is there's a couple of restaurants right there, and while room service has a kind of expensive - in my opinion - service charge, it's there. I only used this once though, as I brought some breakfast food down with me in the first place and got some fruit and other fresh stuff at the supermarket in town. Note if you do this, you have to weigh the stuff yourself in produce section and print the label. There's pictures for the fruit and it's the "Bon" key that prints the label. Market might not take US or even Florin/Guilder bills over 50.

There were some little things I could b#$#$ about, but just little pet peeve stuff. Nothing of consequence and everyone I dealt with was helpful when I'd have questions or whatever.

Bottom line is I can't speak to the other places, but I had a good experience at the Plaza Resort and would definitely stay there again.

Have fun!

Scott

irishstout:
My wife & I are planning a trip to Bonaire in early September and have basically narrowed down our choices of accommodations to:

Eden Beach

Plaza Resort

Sand Dollar

We have read a variety of posts but are looking for both positive & negatives for each based on experience to help us make our choice and are really looking for people who have stayed recently.

Thanks, Sean
Sean,
My husband and I stayed at the Plaza the first week of January 2005. We were celbrating our 25th anniversary so we wanted something a little more up scale. We Loved Bonaire!!! We were not dissapointed with the Plaza and have not been in any other resort in Bonaire. but .... the Plaza was not what we thought it would be. Saying that I have to add that it is relative to where you are going. Bonaire is all about the diving and a fancy hotel is not what people going there are looking for. The Plaza is very big. The rooms were nice, and spacious. We had a villa because we wanted the kitchen. Our villa over looked the lagoon. The villas we were in set back in the resort closest to the Airport. We did here the Air planes take off every morning at 3:00 am. Some people may get botherd by that but it wasn't an issue with us. The house keeping staff did a good job, and if there was any thing we needed they were very responsive as was the front desk. We had thought we would take advantage of the entertainment, or massages but never did. The beach area looked nice, there is a bar on the beach too. We did dve there reef, you do that for your orientation dive when you get your park pass. I thought the reef was good. WE did not eat at the resteraunt, but they have a few. We like to venture out, and I can say Bonaire has great resteraunts we ate out 3 or 4 times dinner all places were great. The resort is a bit isolated from things, not far with a truck though. Definitly get a vehicle so you can dive all the great shore dives - that is the great thing about Bonaire. All in all I would say where ever you stay you will have a great great time!!! Lynne

Great Lynne,

We usually suggest that if you want a romantic time on Bonaire look to rent a romantic villa or apartment on the island, especially if you've been there before! If you don't mind "cruising around" the island, etc. That is probably the best way to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom