Bonaire Shore Diving Made Stupid (Apr 29-May 7 @ Den Laman)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM...I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your return trip.. Yes, we also enjoy watching other divers. Amazing the things you can see. Even funny wetsuits.

However I'm one of those divers that do paddle out to the drop off. We do a lot of our diving further south where the reef drop off is further out than the northern sites. Been doing it on Bonaire for some 25 years now so rest assured you'll never convince me of the efficacy of swimming out some 200 yards U/W to get to the drop off, when you can slowly drift out on your back on the surface pushed along by the easterly trade winds.:D

Am I the only guy who doesn't have a problem with the swim out down south or on the Hilma and doesn't need to backpaddle out staring into the tropical sun in order to save energy, air, or time?

Hey, BDA has babes on the boat too. That dutch looking Canadian with the short blond hair and freakishly small digits... rawr.

Am I the only guy who doesn't have a problem with the swim out down south or on the Hilma and doesn't need to backpaddle out staring into the tropical sun in order to save energy, air, or time?

One of the things that I like most about shore diving Bonaire is you can dive any dam way you please. As long as you do not impact the quality of my dive, you are free to do as you please, and ask for no one's permission. I expect the same in return.

Maybe you are. Up north where drop-off is closer, I usually submerge as soon as I can. Down south if there is a marker, I like to stay on the surface until I am close enough to the marker to insure I hit it as a waypoint marker. Otherwise you have to find some unique and relocatable structure to use as a reference point. I have done OK with that but it sure is much easier to have a very recognizable reference mooring at a known depth with the line and float.

I have seen both the Spotted Snake Eel and the Gold Spotted Eel on the final leg from the marker back to shore.

You might be the only guy who has a problem with how other people choose to plan and execute their dives. I am sorry to hear that watching other divers start off with a surface swim ruined your vacation. :(

You might be the only guy who has a problem with how other people choose to plan and execute their dives. I am sorry to hear that watching other divers start off with a surface swim ruined your vacation. :(

So you were that guy back paddling at Oil Slick Leap! lighten up fella

For me, swim out on surface or underwater is kind of a toss up. I'm an air hog. Tend to get around 40 minutes, maybe 45 if really careful, on an 80 cf aluminum tank. So for me, if I can surface swim out, float there & rest a few moments, that might help me eek out another 3 or 4 minutes dive time?

My wife is really prone to sea sickness. She goes under nice and fast.

Different strokes, different folks!

It would be interesting to see an experiment comparing bottom time of the 2 approaches, not counting the bottom time involved in the swim out.

Richard.

For me, swim out on surface or underwater is kind of a toss up. I'm an air hog. Tend to get around 40 minutes, maybe 45 if really careful, on an 80 cf aluminum tank. So for me, if I can surface swim out, float there & rest a few moments, that might help me eek out another 3 or 4 minutes dive time?

My wife is really prone to sea sickness. She goes under nice and fast.

Different strokes, different folks!

It would be interesting to see an experiment comparing bottom time of the 2 approaches, not counting the bottom time involved in the swim out.

Richard.

Richard,
Don't you realize that you must dive in a way that pleases others, rather than set your own pace, and choose your own style?
Conformity, man, get with the program! And make sure to slam any diver who does not not fit that mold. :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom