Bonaire Shore Diving Made Stupid (Apr 29-May 7 @ Den Laman)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also saw a huge green moray eel at Hilma Hooker near the propeller.

How To Dress Your Truck for Diving

Or

Beware The DickBird

But be aware of the Dickbird. The Dickbird victimized us at Oil Slick Leap. The Dickbird flies through your window, sits on the headrest of each of your front seats backwards, and then shats on your seats. Be aware that towels hanging in the windows don't stop the Dickbird. Its feces are described as small, white, and totally gross. If you leave your tshirt draped over the front seat, your tshirt could be a victim of the Dickbird.

Sounds like it couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving. :)

Diving Cliff:

We found this dive site in the book (by "the book", we mean shore diving made easy, there was a copy in our dive shop). This was a great dive. You climb down a ladder, walk along the beach, make your entry.

The unique feature of cliff is a sheer wall from 35-60ft. The wall is covered in wire corals. We suspect that the best time of day to do Cliff is late afternoon to get the sun on the wall. It is probably a good place to spot a wire coral shrimp (hard to find period, but at least there's a few hundred wire corals to check.). You swim south along the wall, eventually it ends and you are looking at a long slope. Congrats, you are now diving Captain Don's $$$ fee house reef (without paying to do so, neener neener). Keep going ahead in that same 45-55 foot profile from Cliff til you reach the small wreck. Turn around here and make your way back along the top of the aforementioned sheer wall.

Great dive, in a great part of the water column. The only thing being its time of day sensitive to get the sun on the very sheer wall.

Last edited:
Wait, it costs to dive Capt D's house reef? We just did a night dive there and no one bothered us. I figured it was part of the whole dive free island.

Wait, it costs to dive Capt D's house reef? We just did a night dive there and no one bothered us. I figured it was part of the whole dive free island.

I dived it twice (1 day, 1 night) in Jan, no fee, just asked permission......

Ah OK. This is our first time here in Bonaire so I wasn't quite sure. Either way, this island is fantastic and I LOVE not having to get on a boat to dive. I'm so used to Coz and their 2 tank boat dives and no shore diving. For the money spent, this is the best bang for the buck!

just to clear up a concern i have heard on this site a couple of times... the dive site bari reef is accessable to ALL divers. however, the dock, rinsebins, ladder to the dock, tanks, showers etc are only for the use of registered guests. To get to Bari rref the fully public version, turn west at the roundabout and head straight through, past the yellow rock (do not drive into the condo area), park, walk down a small embankment and enjoy! :D Unlike some other sites that have a shop/hotel in front and allow only boat access, den laman/BDA does not restrict access to the dive site.. come over and enjoy it! please just dont use the facilities that are for the use of paying guests, they enjoy their nice quiet dock area! :wink:

Back May 5th @ DL. Sorry for the 1 year old thread rebump.

Don't be sorry. I'm new to the board and might've missed this entertaining, informative thread if you hadn't bumped it.

Marc

Back May 5th @ DL. Sorry for the 1 year old thread rebump.
That is one of the best trip reports I've ever read and ought to be sponsored by the Bonaire visitors bureau - I can hardly wait to make my own trip to Bonaire now! But instead I'm going to Curacao soon...have you been there? Please report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom