Bonaire 'survival' advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Bonaire for the very first time in May 2015 and have some mundane "survival" type questions. There are some things that I have never done in previous holidays, diving or otherwise and so need advice from Bonaire regulars. For instance, I have never stayed at a condo-type accommodation where one has to arrange once own meals etc.

• I will be staying at Blachi Koko Apartments and have booked a dive package with VIP Divers. I have arranged a truck rental.
  • What do people normally do to get breakfast in that part of town? I do not want to waste time preparing meals and if there is an option prefer to get a bit somewhere nearby before starting out.
  • Are there any restaurants or 7-11 type supply shops nearby?

I would be grateful for some tips. Thanks.

It really doesn't get much better than where you're staying...
The Divi Flamingo's restaurant is just north across the street.
Calabas Restaurant

Calabas is an open-air restaurant with calming views of the Caribbean where Executive Chef Selsio de Palm and his team serve a full breakfast buffet each morning from 7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Choose from both hot and cold breakfast options, including a full American breakfast.

If you head south, you're also going to pass the Plaza Resort on the right within a few blocks - Tipsy Seagull does breakfast - https://www.plazaresortbonaire.eu/en/culinary/restaurant-tipsy-seagull/breakfast

You're staying less than 1/2 mile from Warehouse Foods or the new(er) Van Den Tweel supermarket on Kaya Industria - 2 streets north of Blachi Koko - they have everything. Practically across the street from each other.
The Van den Tweel and Warehouse supermarkets in Kralendijk are large and well stocked. There are several mini-markets around town.

Gas station is around the corner also...

Van den Tweel Supermarket - Van Den Tweel Groep

Capture.jpg

I am going to Bonaire for the very first time in May 2015 and have some mundane "survival" type questions. There are some things that I have never done in previous holidays, diving or otherwise and so need advice from Bonaire regulars. For instance, I have never stayed at a condo-type accommodation where one has to arrange once own meals etc.

• I will be staying at Blachi Koko Apartments and have booked a dive package with VIP Divers. I have arranged a truck rental.
  • What do people normally do to get breakfast in that part of town? I do not want to waste time preparing meals and if there is an option prefer to get a bit somewhere nearby before starting out.
  • Are there any restaurants or 7-11 type supply shops nearby?

I would be grateful for some tips. Thanks.

Make sure you try the Pastechi, its quick and usually at all the 7/11 type chineese stores or grocery stores as well. It is a pastry with either carne(meat) Kechi( cheese) galinia ( chicken) pisca ( fish) filling. Delicious.

Hintermann, it all depends what you may have in mind for breakfast. My usual breakfast normally consists of coffee, fruits, yogurt, cereals, smoothies and eggs (hard boiled) from time to time. Therefore, very little preparation required in the morning as most of it can be prepared before hand. What I enjoy about the condo type vacation is the fact that I can quickly put it together than just sit outside to enjoy it without having to go anywhere. As previously mentioned by Diversteve, there are now several well stocked places you can choose for groceries that are relatively closed to where you are staying.

There used to be a store called "Jokes Mini Mart" on Kaya Suecia, just inland a block or 2 from you. It's like a 7-11 (sorta:)). I walked there from Carib Inn one time.

To me, it is too far to walk BACK from Warehouse/VDT with groceries (beer, beer, beer).

We usually get cereal/sweet rolls for breakfast, both as a time and $ saver - used to be 4 of us.

From my own experiences the condo type accommodations are the way to go. When you get down head over to Van Der Tweel or the Warehouse and pick up some coffee, milk and some fast breakfast supplies. You also may want to purchase some cold cuts and bread for lunch. You'll find many restaurants within 5 mins from where you are if alternatively you prefer the dine out. There is also "fast food" in town @ Watterburger if that's your preference. Suvival issues? Bring a high SPF sunblock. ;-)

Make sure you try the Pastechi, its quick and usually at all the 7/11 type chineese stores or grocery stores as well. It is a pastry with either carne(meat) Kechi( cheese) galinia ( chicken) pisca ( fish) filling. Delicious.

The best pastechi I've come across are the ones at the airport bar/restaurant.

Another option - What we do is pack a good quality breakfast/protein bar and take them with us. Get some coffee and yogurt when we got down there, and that's a typical breakfast. I don't remember what it's called, but they sell some locally made dense banana bread type of thing at the store and it makes a great breakfast. No prep, no wait, and we're out the door for the first dive. We either grab lunch on the way back after the second morning dive or have a light lunch back at the house/condo.

Keep bread etc, in the fridge. I know you're not supposed to, but things apparently aren't full of preservatives down there.

I'm also in favor of staying in a condo and preparing some easy meals. We don't plan to spend our vacation cooking - and we do like to visit local eateries; but eating out 3 times a day is very expensive and it gets boring and takes up a lot of time IMO. Remember that you will be on "island time" so service may not be as fast as usual at home. Simple breakfast and lunch meals can be very quick and easy to prepare - but it is up to you; there are plenty of places to eat and buy food near your location, as others have said.

Consider including some snacks and other non-refrigerated items (pringles, ground coffee and filters, fiber bars, microwave popcorn) in your luggage and you may find that they come in handy and are often cheaper than the items available at local stores.

In terms of "survival" keep in mind that when you shore dive you must leave the car/truck unlocked and you can't leave anything of value inside. Since you are diving with VIP maybe they have a better system but we always make sure that we have some inexpensive necessities with us like cheap sunglasses, towel, and flip flops. Never had anyone take that stuff.

We also each bring a "beach bank" or other small carriers that you can wear around your neck and zip under your wetsuit. We use them to hold a key, money, and a credit card, etc. They make a funny-looking bulge under your wet suit and they may leak at depth, so don't use them for a phone or camera; but we have found that they are suitable for miscellaneous small items, usually wrapped in a baggie. If you search this forum you will find examples of other small, personal containers favored by divers.

And I am not trying to start a debate about crime on Bonaire. It is just common sense to try and protect your valuables no matter where you are located. My niece and her husband had their rental car broken into and robbed in Hawaii. They parked the car and went to look at a volcano and when they returned they found that the car had been damaged and a camera and iPhone were stolen.

This is the kind of container we use; the come in different sizes, shapes, and colors:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0N532W3HD5GAN5R4PEXG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom