Bonaire trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This trip we were very disappointed in Cactus Blue. Smaller portions and increased prices were bad enough, but they changed some of their recipes. They had a chicken parm that was the best we had ever had anywhere (and I do mean anywhere), and my two teens always make sure we get to Cactus at least once. This time their chick parm was quite blah, and no one was truly impressed with the food. :depressed:

Jim anything else to add in terms of eating establishments.........its been almost two years since we've been there and I'm looking for some current info........thanks.

I'll try.

We had very good meals at Casablanca, right next to Cactus Blue, and the new place at Den Lamen, that was opened last summer by the owner of Lions Den. Nice, open, quiet and good food. We also enjoyed a good, but pricey meal at Lions Den.

In Jan we also really enjoyed Mona Lisa, downtown and the Rib Factory on the waterfront, but could never find the rib place open this trip, even though they had signs with hours, and a menu board, they were just never there. :shakehead:
Mona Lisa was on our list but we just didn't get there in the week we had. We also enjoyed lighter lunch fare at City Cafe, also on the waterfront.

These last three spots are right down town, so they are jammed with pod people if the cruise ships are in port. Ships were in every day during our Jan visit, but not last week, July not being high cruise season. Other places we ate recently were Bistro Paris (or Paris Bistro?) and the neighboring pizza place right on the road north to the circle, which had a surprisingly great pizza!

Another place I liked in Jan was a Chilean restaurant right next to the retail dive store near the opposite end of the main commercial one way that Mona Lisa is on, but they were on vacation last week.

I know I've just touched on a few of the good places to eat. There are many more we've heard about and we just haven't tried yet. One thing you can say about Bonaire is there are some very good restaurants to choose from. Heard good things about Unbelievable this trip, but never got there.

We also did quite a bit of cooking in the kitchen or out on the grill at our rental, as did my brother's family. There are a couple of decent markets in or near town.

Here are a few more fairly decent pics from last week. with all that's been going on this week, since we returned form Bonaire I haven't had much time to sort threw photos. nothing professional, but they do take me back to Bonaire for a few minutes when I see them.

under_the_coral.jpg

soft_coral_forest.jpg

small_cleaner_shrimp.jpg

blue_vase.jpg

morgan.jpg

arrowcrab3.jpg

tube_sponge_and_brain_coral.jpg

spiney_sea_urchin.jpg

I got a real kick out of this combination of nature recycling our trash when I saw it, and had to shoot it! This anemone decided an old sandal would make a perfect home!

Anemone_and_sandle.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom