Bonaire Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from a week in Bonaire. We were there 1-3 to 1-9. Dove 6 days with Capt Dons and stayed at Coral Paradise. The diving and stay was very enjoyable. This was our fourth trip and this was a family trip with my wife and our 19 and 22 year olds and all four of us dove. Our kids were certified on Bon in 2009.

Flight: We flew United from Newark. Fly times better than in past. Scheduled departure 8:55 AM EWR and 3:30 PM Bon. Much better than the redeye schedule. Could not believe how small the seats and spaces have become in economy and no food unless you pay. Only real negative of the flight though was that my 6 cu ft pony was not in my bag in Bon. It must have been removed in Newark. Not sure why as I have traveled with it before (no valve attached). I filed a lost item report while in Bon and will be filing a missing item from checked luggage claim tomorrow.

Accommodations: 4th time staying at Coral Paradise. Vincent, Caroline and Louise are doing a wonderful job running the place. Nice improvements since our last visit - new rinse tanks and gear lockers storage area with a shower and grill with covered cooking and eating area out by the pool big pluses. It is so nice also to be picked up at the airport and pick up the rental truck at CP eliminating that step at the airport.

Food: We made a trip to Van Den Tweel and picked up food for all our breakfasts, some of our lunches and a dinner. We dined out at Bobbijans, La Guernica, Rain Fishes, Mona Lisa, and Rum Runners. We enjoyed all our dinning out. We also hit Mi Banana for a lunch and enjoyed it as well. Someone from SB suggested Mi Banana and the food was very good. Pan seared red snapper with creole sauce, rice, plantains and small salad for $16.25. Not sure I would have found it or stopped in without the recommendation on SB. Thanks.

Diving: We dove through Capt Dons with 6 days unlimited shore diving and 6 boat dives each. My daughter and I dove nitrox. Orientation, getting park passes and some rental gear took about 30 mins Sun morning and we were in the water diving by 10 AM. The wind was up before our arrival and through Sat and Sun but improved for the rest of the week. Water temps were a consistent 77 which was fine but we were hoping for warmer. Dove with a 3/2 Shortie and either a long sleeve rash guard, 1 mil Bare hooded vest or all three. Vis was down to about 60' but improved and some sites better than others. We may have had 80'-100' at some sites and some dives during the week. The fish/marine life was more abundant than on past trips which is notable as Bon always seems to have a ton.

We dove Klein sites and Karpata and Country Garden by boat and Andrea 1, Windsock, Invisibles and Salt Pier by truck and the house reef at Capt Dons to Buddy’s and Cliff and Small Wall many times. 20 dives this trip.

Enjoyed Salt Pier more than I expected. Dove it at the end of the day around 5 PM and the sun in the West lit up the piers from behind. Very nice. On the return in the shallows we came across turtles scrapping in the hard pan bottom with their fins. Not sure why. Looked like they were feeding but not sure what they were eating. They seemed oblivious to us and we watched them until we were just about out of air.

Had another similar experience at Windsock. We dove this site at 5:30 and we had the beach and dive site to ourselves. Shortly after we started our dive near the solitary piling we encountered an octopus swimming above the corals. It also seemed oblivious to our presence and ended up watching and following him around for 20 minutes. Amazing creatures. Swimming using its jets. Settling on the bottom, changing its colors, shape and textures. Pic colors off as I mistakenly left the camera on land mode. Will try to correct later.
Some photos attached. Hope to return in 2018.

MICR0166.jpgMICR0413.jpgMICR0488.jpgMICR0175.jpgMICR0184.jpgMICR0586.jpgMICR0937.jpgMICR0750.jpgMICR0753.jpg

Thanks for the great report! We'll be back for 18 days in late February and can't wait.

Mi Banana is delicious; we make sure to eat there several times on each trip. On each subsequent visit to Bonaire, we've sought out and have been lucky to find several wonderful local joints and avoided dining at the average food / overpriced 'resort' restaurants, and our dining experiences have been much better as a result. Many of our finds, like you, we initially read about on SB, so let's keep the food posts coming!

Mi Banana was a find. We also found It Rain Fishes surprisingly affordable, or that it at least that it can be. From the fish case where you can select the fish and cut, three of us selected tuna and had it grilled with a sauce on the side and served with veggies and a side of fresh cut fries. Worked out to be about $16 a plate. Also the cocktails ranged from around $6 to $10 which was reasonable but on Friday they were half price before 8:00 PM. Not bad dining from a very nice location. Bobbi Jans though still seems to be one of the best buys. Four of us each ordered the special which includes ribs, grilled chicken and satay. It made a dinner, a lunch the next day and some afternoon apps the next. Enjoy your trip.

Did I understand that you dove Small Wall from shore?

How did you get access? Has Al changed his policy?

Did I understand that you dove Small Wall from shore?

I had to think a little bit about your question. Double checked the guide books and maps and just realized I was mistaken. I always thought cliff and small wall were right next to each other and that by continuing past the Capt Don Memorial and then the yellow dive buoy we were diving cliff then small wall. One guide says that Small Wall is out in front of the Black Durgon. If that is the case we did not dive it as I know we did not swim that far North. Sorry for the error. TK

Dang. I was hoping.

i once (only once and never again) surface swam from DF Hamlet to dive small wall. It's a long ways - lot easier to stay at black durgon and dive it all you want. It's a great "changing of the guard" dive.

Enjoyed your report. I've dove the Cliff several times from shore, & Small Wall once by boat. Ironically, Small Wall seemed to me basically a larger version of the Cliff.

Richard.

Only real negative of the flight though was that my 6 cu ft pony was not in my bag in Bon. It must have been removed in Newark. Not sure why as I have traveled with it before (no valve attached). I filed a lost item report while in Bon and will be filing a missing item from checked luggage claim tomorrow

Just posting a quick follow up on the claim with United. I submitted a written claim in Jan for "item missing from checked luggage". I was told to check back after 25 days. I checked back today and was told that "my claim was in process" and could expect "reimbursement" in 8-10 weeks. Curiously when you call on the automated system there is no option for this claim. Had to get to an agent. The agent did not answer my questions such as does this mean my claim was accepted or does reimbursement mean for the amount I submitted. I was just told the same thing over again. Claim in process reimbursement in 8-10 weeks. We shall see in 8-10 weeks.

Mi Banana could have been my recommendation. Rumba Grill has some good cheap fish dishes as well if still there. It was up for sale when I was last on Bonaire in August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom