Bonaire vs Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or a fin-keeper - most keep mask/fins securely out of the way. Scuba Diving Black Utility Mask Fin Keeper Holder Strap with Quick Release Loop | eBay

Capture.JPG

The reason we keep returning to Bonaire over other locations is the incredible dive freedom that Bonaire allows. This last 8 day trip we did 27 dives with a total of 26 hours under water.

I did 75+ dives on my month long trip this October... And killed a pile of Lionfish for dinner....

Jim...

The reason we keep returning to Bonaire over other locations is the incredible dive freedom that Bonaire allows. This last 8 day trip we did 27 dives with a total of 26 hours under water.

I did 75+ dives on my month long trip this October... And killed a pile of Lionfish for dinner....

Amen! I've enjoyed 200+ shore dives and 240+ hours of bottom time since our last boat dive on Bonaire in 2003.

There are several challenging shore entries on Bonaire, but also many really great sites with easy shore entries too. No matter where you go shore entries don't get much easier than those found at Bari Reef, Something Special, Cha Cha Cha, Donkey Beach, and Oil Slick etc. If that's not your cup of tea you might do better by sticking with diving from boats with support from dive staff etc.

Is there a better map available that maybe shows roads to dive spots? Do you rent tanks at each location or get a package that has unlimited tanks and haul them around?

Is there a better map available that maybe shows roads to dive spots? Do you rent tanks at each location or get a package that has unlimited tanks and haul them around?

Do you mean on Bonaire or Curacao?

- On Bonaire, most all the sites on the west coast (and certainly all the southern ones) are on one road, so it's impossible to get lost.

There are only a few dive shops directly on a site, but most people get a package and drive to shore dive (though to many, having a house reef is key). For those sites with a shop on it, they range from 'anyone can come dive anytime' (Cliff, Buddy, etc) to sometimes being on private property and not having access (19 Palms, Lighthouse Point, etc). Both BSDME and Dive Guide Bonaire note these sites.

- Curacao was different in that I did get lost once or twice driving to a site. It's not that hard, but the roads aren't always clearly marked and there was a lot of construction when we were there. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if any shops offer an unlimited package unless you're staying with them. And I'd imagine there is a certain protocol to using the onsite shop when diving the sites.

Last year I used google maps (offline) and an app called Curacao App to find my way around. Worked great. I would say the entries on average are easier on Curacao. We stayed in Westpunt and the diving is outstanding. We had a package with Go West - boats in the am and shore diving in the afternoon. Dragging the tanks up and down the long flight of stairs was not a pleasure, but doable. We go to Bonaire every year, but hope to return to Curacao again soon.

I see this is an older post, but I didn't see anyone mention that Bonaire has the smaller 63 size nitrox tanks, where on the nw end of Curacao (where we stay & primarily dive, 30-45 min from the city), only the regular size 80's are available. As a 5'1", just turned 60 yr female (we have been to both islands, 3x Curacao & our 3rd trip to Bonaire coming this weekend), the smaller sized nitrox tank is one of the biggest ++ of diving Bonaire. (The trickier entrance of Bonaire almost negates that, but not quite). I do rely on my husbands superior height, stride, weight, & shoe size more heavily for Bonaire exits than in Curacao, by grabbing his arm the last 10'. :wink:
Also, as stated, Bonaire is small, quick & easy to get around. However, if you want (need) to go to "town" (the city) in Curacao, for us that will eat up a good portion of the day. (I hate it when we run out of food, coffe, or tp). We really enjoy Both islands for what they have to offer, so we have chosen to alternate between them, until we find another one that measures up. (We did add Cayman Brac into the rotation 2 yrs ago, but that is another shore diving story). To making more bubbles . . .

Curacao is easier since most shore diving is from small sandy beaches. Dive with AllWest, they rent unlimited tanks, just like Bonaire and have an excellent home reef. Reefs are healthier at the west; the further away from Willemstad, the better. So dive Plaia Kalki, Plaia Lagun, Plaia Jeremy, Plaia Kenipa, etc. Plaia Mansalina is very good but you need a 4WD. There is also one boat dive you should not miss (Watamula).

Hi Flutter, who did you get your tanks from in CUR? Gowest had an ample supply of 63s and 50s. The ones I saw were being filled with air but I don't know why some could not be converted to nitrox as a special request. Again, I did not see the nitrox tanks and there may have been some in smaller sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom