book to recomend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am, but I actually got the book first as I was trying to decide if I was going to go down that path. I had planned to train with someone else, but they kept having to cancel and so I emailed her on a whim. Glad I did!

She got recommended by several people. Glad I did too.

Hi approaching my one hundreth dive which will be in cozumel next week. Planning on taking gue fundamentals and getting a dry suit. Want to really start to dial in buoyancy. and trim this year. I am a retired anesthesiologist who did a bunch of closed circuit cases early in my career and find ccr fascinating. Eventually hope to head down that route. Would love a book recommendation on the subject to review basic concepts as. my. previous. experience is. really in no way related to ccr diving and. the. complexities envolved
To be honest I have no book reccomendations, not only books can be almost "all encompassing" but have the down fall of being out of date on some sub topics, but I only know of 2 books that might be completly off topic for you since they are more about engineering of regulators:
  • Regulator Savvy by Pete Wolfinger
  • Regulator Maintenance... (don't even remember the rest of the name but it's quite known here on the board-- somone help me out plz)
I am also taking the plunge into CCRs very soon; but over the last year the internet has been my friend.

I can't help but notice you mentioned you are an Anesthesist...
this instantly makes me think of 3 awesome feollows of your trade, that provide an awesome public service in the domain of diving:
  • Dr. Simon Mitchell (can't find his handle here)--> if you wanna learn more about the interplay between Phyisiology and (rebreather) diving; he's a lead researcher in that field, lots of Youtube fun lectures on the topic (approachable for me as an egineer, detailed to the satisfaction of the geeks) DAN lecture on Tech. diving
  • Dr. Richard Harris --> he can take you through more of the diving itself, more logistical / configuration choices kinda learning (I have no clue if he's here on the board) for example CMFs on mCCRs
  • The brass wizard; Dr. Robert Singler @rsingler --> not necesseraly that you would learn about rebreathers; but he has a great Bouancy calculator article here on the forums; and will teach you so much about regulators it changes how you choose and treat your gear; Regulator geeks 3 seminar
Personally I have attribute 50% at least of what I learned related to diving over 2023 to just these 3 dudes, and it was an eventful year.

Off topic: I keep coming across alot of Anesthesist in diving, lot's even are diving (semi)Pros -- what's up with that? (it's cool, inspiring, and just wondering)
My (sarcastic) theory: y'all figured out that the bends is the safest way to get buzzed πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ€£

I think that the reason so many anesthesiologists are into diving is that our career is spent dealing with life support equipement as well as gas physics and most in. the past i e my era (65yo). did closed circuit anesthesia

that actually makes a lot of sense in retrospect

I have seen their lectures on You tube and they are excellent. I was involved in Cardiac and transplant and i believe after listening to them they were either critical care guys or did extensive work with respiratory physiology as there knowledge base is incredibly deep

ok now I wanna read up about CC Anesthesia πŸ˜…

Edit: ooooooh, it's... the same... damn... thing...;

1705443025540.png

I'm an Oncological Surgeon. Anesthesia machines have a lot to do with rebreathers, similar in many aspects. In fact, Drager does the majority of the life support equipment at the hospitals i work

It's funny I have yet to come across a diving Polmonologist.. well I know just the one.. my sister (she onyl did 2 Discover scubas and that's it -- after lot's of convincing)
I guess they are team instant emphysema 🀣

ok I will quit Hijacking this thread, but that was actually very informative

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom