Booties for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all.

We're off to Bonaire on Jan 15th and I've heard the entries are a bit challenging. I bought these:

Products - oneill.com

but am wondering if I made a bad choice. They fit well, which was a problem when shore diving in Bali - my boots were too big and I was sliding all over on exit and entry. Should I get something more sturdy??

Thanks.

IMHO you want snug fitting booties to avoid your feet slipping around in them, especially when wet. Then last 2 pairs I purchased seemed comfortable and correctly sized in the dive store, but my feet slipped around in them when navigating challenging terrain when wet. Next time I'll probably go 1 size smaller.

The other bootie feature that's highly recommended for Bonairean shore diving is thick firm soles. Many entries involve walking over coral rubble and/or volcanic ironshore, both of which can make for painful walking with thin-soled booties.

My wife and I prefer Seasoft Sunray booties. She purchased hers at Carib Inn on Bonaire for the same price I paid at our local dive shop back home. Tusa's DB-4000 booties also feature rugged soles and are available at Dive Friends Bonaire's retail outlet and some of their dive shops on island. Both are good choices for Bonaire shore diving characteristics.

Hard soles for real if you're doing any shore diving at all--not for nothing they call it "iron shore." We use and like Mares Trilastic Sneaker Sole, but of course there are lots of options.

[h=4]I use the Bare low top boot below for warm water diving, and they work great. Comfortable, hard sole, and easy to get on and off. Perfect for ironstone entries to warm water.

Bare 3mm HD Tropic Low Top Dive Boots
[/h]

We used booties like that... worked fine... I like the flex to help with feeling what I'm stepping on....

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom