Boots Stink...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harristom:
My scuba boots stink bad. Is there a fix. What products do you reccommend???

Gagging

Ist thought was maybe Desenex for the foot problem???(sometimes it's good to get to the root of the problem.....lol)...

Wash and soak in Woolite, rinse and repeat after each dive. Getting boots to dry is diffrent than other gear. After washing, I stick them over a 3/4" PVC tube drilled into a piece of plywood. After one day, I take them off and let them stand with the tops held open. They never have had any funky smell.

Dave

harristom:
My scuba boots stink bad. Is there a fix. What products do you reccommend???

Gagging

Stop peeing in your wetsuit....

SharkBaite:
Stop peeing in your wetsuit....
More precisely, stop peeing in your wetsuit while having the suit legs tucked into the boots, then failing to rinse the boots, then being in a humid climate where the boots take forever to dry.

Did all of the above. It wasn't pretty.

Rinsing well and thoroughly drying pretty much eliminates problems, even if you pee. Just like getting rid of mildew, once a boot gets bad, simple rinsing and drying doesn't do much. That's why things that kill mold/fungus/bacteria/whatever (listerine, chlorine, etc.) are needed for really bad cases.

Prevention is better than cure.

To prevent gear stink, DRY the gear as soon as possible after diving.

For boots I like a boot drier that supports the boots toe up and blows air up into the toe.
This way water can drain and dry air flows from toe out.

If you don't get them dry and they get stinky use Sink the Stink and then go back to drying quickly.

Here is a tip;

Drying is more important than rinsing!

Even if you can't rinse your gear go ahead and dry it. Your nose will thank you.

I find Mirazyme works better than Sink-the-stink, which just tries to cover the stink. Do NOT rinse it with water after soaking in Mirazyme or the enzyme will be diluted. I'd let it drip upside down (to get most water out) for ~1 hour and then put a boot warmer in it overnight. good luck & dive safely.

I rinse mine in the tub with HOT water for about 10 minutes, then turn them upside down and let them dry, I have had the same boots for about 3 years and don't have stinky boot syndrome., I have found to eliminate any chance of smell drying them as soon as possible eliminates most smell, also try buying a dehumidifier and place it in your bathroom overnight with the room shut, depending on size your stuff should be dry in about4-6 hours. or try using a smaller enclosed area for faster drying time. I went to Home Depot and bought one of those rubbermaid cabinets, once its had a chance to drip most of the water out I place it inside of the storage thing and in the sun, it heats up and dries nicely as well. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1633133106.1177676594@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehaddkkjjflmlcgelceffdfgidglo.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4412&pos=n14

I have been doing this with my gear for about a year and don't have the typical wet neopreme smell after dried.

To prevent bootie stink ....
Be sure and dry them realy good after a days diving.
The first step is to shake all the water out.

Firmly grasp your bootie and shake it all about.

Just shake, shake, shake ..... shake, shake, shake .....
Shake your bootie .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom