Boring Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each time you go there, change your dive plan (we all plan our dives, don't we?). You might work on navigation skills, look for marine life you haven't seen at that location before, map the site, do a search and recovery for a specific object, etc.

Also, you might buddy up with someone who's never been there before, and in "following" them, you might appreciate the site through the eyes of a newbie.

Just a thought.

Mo2vation - do you have a bigger version of your Avatar?? I love that picture....hehe.

Omicron once bubbled...
Mo2vation - do you have a bigger version of your Avatar?? I love that picture....hehe.
It is taken from a Deep Sea ad. Grab any scuba magazine from about 6 months age. Haven't seen it lately. :D

Sweet..thanks! I'll have to see if I can dig up some old Rodales that I've got lying around.

I dont know about everyone else. But, sometimes i really enjoy the serenity of those so called boring dives.

I go snorkeling and diving from this local beach every day unless i am on a dive charter. Last year i had around 275 dives just from this one location.

There is are a few rocky patches with lots of marine life and plenty of sandy areas.

Im not the kind of person who likes to do the whole "dive tour" thing. I like to just pick a general area and just check out every little nook and cranny.

Sometimes i will just stay in the white sandy area in about 15fsw. There i will work on buoyancy skills (can never get to much of it).

Sometimes though i will stay in a fin pivot positon along the sand and just breathe in and out nice and slowly in relaxing manor with only the sound of my bubbles ascending to the surface.

Occasionally a little fish will find cover under me and i will move alittle bit of the sand with my finger and it will look on like a curious cat to see what i dig up. I dont know you just gotta be there to understand.

I understand what you mean Quest :)

I've sat there prodding sand up for a few fish too, watching them watch me...it's pretty serene.

I kinda like lying on my back in shallow water and blowing bubbles. When it's a bright day out in clear water it's kinda warm and relaxing. You could almost take a nap.

Hey, there's the pic!

Awesome! Thanks for the link Atomic.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Doing so allows me to explore the wreck in detail and really get to know it, rather than a quick exploration.

I did 20 dives on the same wreck last year, almost 15 hours of bottom time. I still have plenty more to explore.

My wife: Journey person. Loves a beautiful, winding drive up the coast. Looking at the beautiful, shimmering ocean, the wonderful sunset, the starlight in the breaking waves.

Me: Destination person. I loathe long winding drives up the coast. Put me on the widest, straightest friggen' freeway and letme rocket to point "B" so I can get down to business.

I'm like that with most everything in life. I don't amble, stroll, meander, perambulate, pitter-pattern, plod, prance, promenade, roam, saunter, toddle, traipse, traverse, trudge or wander. I walk very quickly, with great purpose and intent.

It's often like this with my diving. I can go to the same place time after time, but I have to have a specific objective, and I need to be "doing something". I'm about the destination, not the journey.

I get in with a purpose, I achieve it, I'm flexible if things go south, I come out alive. I can't get into the whole "hey, look at the fishies" thing... Not lately. I have spent most of the last 4 years in the wanderlust of it all, and I'm at the point now where I need to knock off some objectives.

This dive I accomplished X, Y or Z:

Learned to back kick
Dropped my SAC
Horizontal ascent achieved without a sandstorm
Took new buddy to fav dive spot

I need to "do something" these days - I can't just "dive" you know? Lately, going to the same spot is working because I'm really focused on the skill thing right now. Soon, I may return to the the diving equivelent of a summer stroll, but not now. Not for awhile.

K

Back
Top Bottom