Bottom Timer and dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two issues:

1. Using computers in computer mode, they attempt to save you from yourself. So while it may work for some dives, if the profile does not match what your particular computer thinks is safe, it "locks you out". Essentially, it turns itself into a guage anyway. So rather than endure the beeping, the flashing, and the warnings, it seems more practical to simply start in guage mode, and learn to manage decopmpression in a different way. Some computers will not even offer guage mode to you when they lock you out. And most computers penalize the diver for things like deep stops which most forward thinking agencies are starting to embrace.

2. I choose to use a dive computer because I like having the ability to download my dive profiles after the dives. It helps me see my performance in things like holding stops. It also allows me "bookmarks" to keep track of events during the dive, like how long it took me to swim from one feature to another. I am not familiar with the Suunto D3, but I chose the Vyper because it offered a guage mode, downloading capability, and a large, easy to read screen. With DSS's mount, it is also very secure underwater and unobtrusive. It's also of reasonable cost.

I cannot speak for why others choose this, but this was my own reasoning.

(note: I did a decompression dive on the Vyper once, and after the dive was complete, the post-dive debrief was done in the water, I dropped my fin in 5ft of water. I reached down with my right hand to grab my fin off the bottom, and it bent the computer. I had run that dive in "computer mode")

I use a computer in gauge mode and a cheepo dive watch (timex helix). I don't see the point of normal bottom timers since the lower end computers tend to be cheaper, they perform all the functions of a bottom timer in gauge mode, plus they also record your dives.

BigTuna:
Peronne (and any others), I'm curious. Since you dive with a computer, why don't you run it in computer mode? You could elect to read only the depth and time, just like you do in gauge mode, but the deco info would be there, too, if you want or need it (say if something unexpected causes you to deviate from your schedule).

Or if you absolutely positively never will use the computer in other than gauge mode, why would anybody carry along something so elaborate, when a simpler and cheaper depth/time instrument would do, like the Suunto D3, for example?

I'm familiar with the arguments against relying on computers. I'm inquiring about USING them versus relying on them. This isn't meant as a challenge. Like I said, I'm curious.

I have a versa pro which is 1-gas computer, so if I leave it in computer mode during a tech dive, then it beeps the whole time and annoys the hell out of me and locks out. Then it's stuck in gauge mode until the next 24 hour break from diving so I need to be able to dive with it in gauge mode even for rec dives.

I suppose I could get a multi-gas computer like the VR3 or HS explorer, but they are expensive and I don't feel I really need one so I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Does the Vyper do dive time in mintues and seconds by chance, or just minutes?

PerroneFord:
Using computers in computer mode, they attempt to save you from yourself. So while it may work for some dives, if the profile does not match what your particular computer thinks is safe, it "locks you out".
This is a common argument, and one that surely is true for a multiple gas dive. OTOH, do you have an example of an acceptable DIR profile using a single gas that "bends" your computer?

(Anyone with a valid single gas profile that gets rejected by computers is encouraged to answer, not just PerroneFord).

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Allen

p.s. Don't bother mentioning those cases where you are diving EAN32 and through failure to do proper pre-dive checks, leave it set to air.

Interesting thread.
For the poll:
I use 2 computers. One a single gas (Versa Pro) and the other with 3 (Nitek). I also have custom tables and my brand new Citizen 20th aniv Aqualand. Nice watch. anyone else have some thoughts about it?

Taking a systems engineering view, it looks like the requirements are for a dive logger, depth readout, and dive timer.

As an alternative to using a computer in gauge mode for logging, how about a purpose-built logger? Last year I became aware of the Sensus logger (http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/). Clip it on somewhere and upload the data to a PC or Mac after the dive. Add a depth gauge and a timer, and voila!--a system built to the requirements, and without wasting a computer.

Another possible solution would seem to be Suunto's D3 (http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...lder_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1161564770624). It provides depth and time AND it logs dives (uploads to PC only). Voila!--requirements satisfied in one package.

I know you do what you do, but if I'm getting where you're coming from, would these be reasonable configurations for your application?

[PS: I don't have a business stake in these products, but I do use 3 Suunto products.]

Peter Guy:
Does anyone still use a mechanical watch for a bottom timer or a mechanical depth guage?

IF it is so much better to have a mechanical SPG, why isn't it better to have a mechanical bottom timer (aka watch) and mechanical depth guage?

Peter, I don't do any tech diving, however, I use a Timex Promaster automatic diver and a Mares Analog (burdon tube based) depth gauge as my backups. I would rather have something integrated into a single backup unit, but thats the way it goes.

I use a Apex Quantum (same as diverite duo) in computer mode :)

Bjorn

I dive with a Uwatec bottom timer, a Timex Ironman watch and a Suunto Vytec. If I'm doing recreational dives, I use the Vytec as a computer and let it control. If I'm pushing time or depth limits then I switch the Vytec to gauge mode and take control myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom