Bottom Timer and dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna:
Taking a systems engineering view, it looks like the requirements are for a dive logger, depth readout, and dive timer.

Average depth and stopwatch are also useful features to have if you are trying to either work out deco on the fly, or trying to time your stops.

BigTuna:
As an alternative to using a computer in gauge mode for logging, how about a purpose-built logger? Last year I became aware of the Sensus logger (http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/). Clip it on somewhere and upload the data to a PC or Mac after the dive. Add a depth gauge and a timer, and voila!--a system built to the requirements, and without wasting a computer.

Yes, I have something very similar made by Cochran. The new Sensus seems nicer though. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a display so it only handles part of the job. The problem of course, is that the common Bottom timers are $199, the Sensus is about $150, and a timer with a decent depth rating is about $60. So you've essentially got 3 items to do the work of 1, and it costed you more to get there.

BigTuna:
Another possible solution would seem to be Suunto's D3 (http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...lder_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1161564770624). It provides depth and time AND it logs dives (uploads to PC only). Voila!--requirements satisfied in one package.

True, but the screen is quite small. Might work for some, but I'm not getting any younger and I welcome the larger display on the Vyper.

BigTuna:
I know you do what you do, but if I'm getting where you're coming from, would these be reasonable configurations for your application?

More or less yes. The trouble is are they cost effective, and are they as practical?

BigTuna:
Taking a systems engineering view, it looks like the requirements are for a dive logger, depth readout, and dive timer.

As an alternative to using a computer in gauge mode for logging, how about a purpose-built logger? Last year I became aware of the Sensus logger (http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/). Clip it on somewhere and upload the data to a PC or Mac after the dive. Add a depth gauge and a timer, and voila!--a system built to the requirements, and without wasting a computer.

Another possible solution would seem to be Suunto's D3 (http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...lder_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1161564770624). It provides depth and time AND it logs dives (uploads to PC only). Voila!--requirements satisfied in one package.

I know you do what you do, but if I'm getting where you're coming from, would these be reasonable configurations for your application?

[PS: I don't have a business stake in these products, but I do use 3 Suunto products.]

As PF pointed out it's not cost effective. Bottom timers are usually at least $100 (scubastore), but more comonly around $180-200 and the Sensus is $150, so maybe ~$260-360 shipped. The D3 with cable is about $305 shipped (LP price).

Now you could just buy the Aeris XR-1 (which has a gauge mode) from scubatoys with cable for maybe about $220-230 shipped. Granted it's on special, and I'm assuming the 10% SB discount, but you can always find these offers. I remember when I was buying my first computer somebody had Aeris Atmos 1's for $100. Not so long ago Amazon had Oceanic Veo 100's for $150, and so forth. And these all came with warranty. I got my Versa pro with cable from scubatoys for about $300 shipped.

Computers are just cheaper. Also, I prefer to have 1 gadget that acts as a bottom timer and dive recorder rather than two separate ones.

Charlie99:
This is a common argument, and one that surely is true for a multiple gas dive. OTOH, do you have an example of an acceptable DIR profile using a single gas that "bends" your computer?

(Anyone with a valid single gas profile that gets rejected by computers is encouraged to answer, not just PerroneFord

Let's leave DIR out of this since this is not the DIR forum and no one else brought it up. Assume instead that you want to dive the type of neo-Haldanian profiles that Oceanic computers use for example, or RGBM profiles at nominal generated by GAP (and used by HS Explorer I believe), but suppose you have a Suunto. Then I'm pretty sure it would get bent on certain profiles that the others would still consider NDL. You might even be able to find profiles that bend the Oceanic but not the Suunto... And the old Navy air table might bend both brands, or is 5min at 190' acceptable as a no-deco dive for Suunto and Oceanic computers? What about 310min at 35'?.

m0000155.gif

The larger point is that if you dive the computer in computer mode then you are stuck with it's algorithm and limits which may not conform to the algorithm and limits you'd like to use.

*Floater*:
Let's leave DIR out of this since this is not the DIR forum and no one else brought it up.

The larger point is that if you dive the computer in computer mode then you are stuck with it's algorithm and limits which may not conform to the algorithm and limits you'd like to use.
LOL. When you, or PerroneFord, or SparticleBrane post something derogatory about computers, it's a pretty safe bet that you are parroting the DIR line. :)

The larger point is that for most people the algorithms and the limits of the computers are not the limiting factor. Most people don't want to dive 80' 40 minutes and then ascend directly to the surface.

Of course, I may be wrong about this, which is why I asked for someone to post an example of a profile that they are happy with, but which their computer objects to.

-----------

The Suunto computers will indicate a required decompression much sooner than liberal computers such as the Oceanic/Aeris/Pelagic series. But they will also clear out of decompression after a reasonable ascent and stops.

I use a computer (VR3) and a bottom timer, which is actually a Viper in gauge mode.

scuba.ie:
I use a computer (VR3) and a bottom timer, which is actually a Viper in gauge mode.
I have the same multigas computer VR3 C4 I love it, you have both computer and digital bottom timer + dive table, which is your primary?

Charlie, the original question pertained to technical divers. That pretty much implies dives that are outside of NDLs. This isn't, "Why don't you dive with a computer?", but, "When you do decompression diving, do you rely on a computer to tell you your desired profile, or do you carry one solely as a backup for circumstances outside your original planning, or do you dispense with one altogether?"

Charlie99:
The larger point is that for most people the algorithms and the limits of the computers are not the limiting factor. Most people don't want to dive 80' 40 minutes and then ascend directly to the surface.

Maybe with the more liberal computers, but I've seen plenty of complaints about the Suuntos being too conservative and people having to call dives while their buddies who were wearing another brand computer still had plenty of bottom time left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom