Bottom Timer/Wrist Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, luckily 10 @ 180 with a 50% bottle handy is basically min deco :)

If these profiles were more like

30 mins at 30
30 at 180-240
30 at 30

then I can really start to see some issues where you simply arent going to do the entire 240-30 deco on the way in, and then again on the way out I would assume.

Maybe there arent any caves like that though.

10@180 I wouldnt sweat.
I don't think it's common to encounter these in FL. These are all very specific places in a select few sites we've mentioned here. The most challenging part of deco in FL caves tends to be when there's not room for 2 divers, or the sheer amount of bottom time exceeds the testing for modern deco algorithms. I wasn't entirely kidding when I said let DAN foot the bill when you're wrong...there's still a statistically significant number of individuals getting bent around here, a buddy of mine was bent on a dive we did together using the same tables we'd used about 20 times before, and have used at least 20 times since then, he assumes he was dehydrated...go figure :idk:

I don't think it's common to encounter these in FL. These are all very specific places in a select few sites we've mentioned here. The most challenging part of deco in FL caves tends to be when there's not room for 2 divers, or the sheer amount of bottom time exceeds the testing for modern deco algorithms. I wasn't entirely kidding when I said let DAN foot the bill when you're wrong...there's still a statistically significant number of individuals getting bent around here, a buddy of mine was bent on a dive we did together using the same tables we'd used about 20 times before, and have used at least 20 times since then, he assumes he was dehydrated...go figure :idk:

Yeah once you start exceeding certain depth and / or time limits, I think the jury is pretty much out.

You may be referring to this site that does not appear to handle Scubapro any longer. I guess SP and AL have caved under the pressure from brick & mortar operators...

Scubastore. Online dive gear and dive equipment shop.

That's the one. They still carry Uwatec and Suunto, they just don't sell them to the U.S. any more. If you change the country to say the UK, you can find the Luna w/o transmitter available for 477 GBP. Of course, unless the OP is going there or knows someone who is, that's not going to help him.

I've already posted that I don't see the point of this feature. But if you have a computer with a resettable average (e.g. Tec2g, not the new Uwatec), then at least you *could* make some of use of it. The point is, this is info you ought to be tracking yourself.

At least in Gauge mode, all the Galileos have the resettable depth feature. I don't remember whether that's true in computer mode, not that the OP cares if he's DIR.

"Upon pressing the middle button (marked
“​
AVG”), a bookmark will be set while at the
same time the average depth is reset. Upon

pressing and holding​
the middle button,
the dive profile is displayed, followed by the
pictures."

Guy

That's the one. They still carry Uwatec and Suunto, they just don't sell them to the U.S. any more. If you change the country to say the UK, you can find the Luna w/o transmitter available for 477 GBP. Of course, unless the OP is going there or knows someone who is, that's not going to help him.

At least in Gauge mode, all the Galileos have the resettable depth feature. I don't remember whether that's true in computer mode, not that the OP cares if he's DIR.

"Upon pressing the middle button (marked
“​
AVG”), a bookmark will be set while at the
same time the average depth is reset. Upon

pressing and holding​
the middle button,
the dive profile is displayed, followed by the
pictures."

Guy

This is extremely helpfull as I own the Galileo. It's perfect for my single cylinder spearfishing/lobstering diving due to AI and ease of reading during much task loading activity.

I hate to admit that I was ambivalent toward it's tec use as well, shucks, it does not look tec and I do not see other divers utilizing although someone informed via PM that a GUE High Springs Cave 3, Tech 1 instructor utilizes. My favorite LDS owner indicated last week that SP is to release the Galileo's trimix software next month which if for no other use will be nice for a backup deco schedule...

As for my DIR bent. I am recently IANTD adv rec trimix trained & currently working on my GUE tech pass skills tehn prehaps Tech 1 in the future...so only time will tell where my journey takes me...

All of my longer dives so far have been in Mx where we definitely use average depth for 99% of caves, and if there is a steep incline (say like at the Blue abyss where you go 25 down to 100 and up to 25, we just do a slow ascent or min deco up)

on a profile like that you can basically ignore the depth that you hit in the middle part. you've long deco'd out all the faster compartments and its going to be the slower, shallower compartments that will matter. you may want to 2x or 3x the time spent deep to account for the depth driving those longer compartments harder, but mostly you're looking at the overall runtime at the depth that you wind up at, with a little padding to the runtime to account for the excursion in the middle.

even with 50 min @ 50 feet + 20 min @ 100 feet + 50 min @ 50 feet, i'll bet that 140 min @ 50 feet is close enough to the same deco, and probably is more conservative.

even with 50 min @ 50 feet + 20 min @ 100 feet + 50 min @ 50 feet, i'll bet that 140 min @ 50 feet is close enough to the same deco, and probably is more conservative.

not quite... from v-planner:

50@60+20@100+50@60 == 11:20 @ 20 deco
140@60 == 8:40 @ 20 deco

but depth averaging gives:

120@66 == 15:28 @ 20 deco

Sure although 3:20 difference over a 2hr20min dive is like +2.25 to +2.4 in vplanner.

Or 35/80 vs 35/86 GF in Buhlmann.

Not to mention they are all wonky and statistically oops a significant portion of the time anyway.
a buddy of mine was bent on a dive we did together using the same tables we'd used about 20 times before, and have used at least 20 times since then, he assumes he was dehydrated...go figure

There's no table, software, or rule of thumb that's ever really "right", they just work today. Tomorrow's a different day.

Like I said, I am pretty happy to "wing" it a bit and fix it later with time for depths within what I would call a setpoint range.

Its when you start doing significant time really shallow and really deep you have an issue because you cannot simply say "I will fix it at 30 feet" because you just cannot (or maybe cannot) ascend to that depth in a reasonable time without lugging deco bottles (and even then it may take tens of mins each way)

Suunto Vyper/Vytec. Big numbers, easy to read.

Cab add Helo2 to list

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom