Boycott Boca Dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D Don't hate you at all Al - but that Santa guy.....:rofl3:

Seriously - an instructor, a dive shop owner, posts a picture of a very small nurse shark that looks like it was speared on a page of their website dedicated to spearfishing - what more "proof" do you need that the guy is a jerk :confused:

I don't need to touch a red hot stove to know it hurts if you put your hand on it.

The picture did not magically disappear just as this thread was happening - the website, the writing, the sentiments expressed - lets just say I was not impressed, and will not be using this operator.

And I'm going to say it - I think the LDS in question should have "butched up" and replied to this thread. :no:

Last edited:
Nurse sharks are legal to take hook and line fishing, but...

The following is a list of species that are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed that are managed by the Commission, and those species not managed by the Commission, may be harvested by spearing.

Billfish (all species)
Spotted eagle ray
Sturgeon
Manta ray
Sharks
Bonefish
Tarpon
Goliath Grouper
Snook
Blue Crab
Nassau grouper
Spotted seatrout
Red drum
Weakfish
Stone Crab
Pompano
African pompano
Permit
Tripletail
Lobster
Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)

Thanks, Matt.

It does leave me wondering how big of a problem spear fishing really is for fish stocks.

I mean, how many of the 100 million sharks killed annually are taken by recreational spearfishing?

These kinds of discussions always leave me with the same feeling.... that people (policy makers) are avoiding the real issues.... Namely huge problems in commercial fishing operations that created the problem with shark populations to start with and keep making it worse and worse while politicians pretend to do something by putting tabs on spear fishing.

In other words, getting all heavy handed about a non-issue as a smoke screen to hide the fact that they're not dealing with the issue.

So a guy catches a shark with a spear gun... it's easy to get mad at him, especially since there are rules in place.... but he's not the problem. What you guys are all in a huff about is a symptom of a system that isn't working and isn't sustainable.

If you want to save sharks, then make a call to your congressman/woman and ask them what (if anything) they're bothering to do about the problems with bycatch from long line and drift net fishing.

IJS.

R..

Drift nets are illegal and long-lining is now closely inspected. 20% of all the tuna boats (randomly) are carrying Observers and 100% of all the Swordfish boats (at least out of Hawaii). But you're right ... spearfishing is barely a drop in the bucket, but he's still a visible symptom of the problem and until I see an apology from Boca Dive and a plan to teach that schmuck why what he did was wrong (as if the law's not enough) I will make damned sure that I never darken their door and I will ask all that I know to follow suit.

It was basically a rather startling image in this day in age. Sort of a black eye to the area...

In about 2 weeks I will be back in the US for summer break. When I fly out I will be sure to take a picture of the shark fin store in the Jakarta International Airport. If you think the nurse shark picture is shocking you ain't seen nothing yet.

FWIW, I love spearfishing and will defend it with passion. I cannot defend shooting a tiny nurse shark under any circumstances.

Added later: Here ya go. Note every package in this place is a shark fin from a few inches to over two feet tall. You can google "jakarta airport shark fin" to see more.

http://www.rolefoundation.org/files/press_release_shark_fin.html

Thanks, Matt.

So a guy catches a shark with a spear gun... it's easy to get mad at him, especially since there are rules in place.... but he's not the problem. What you guys are all in a huff about is a symptom of a system that isn't working and isn't sustainable.

R..

I don't think my problem is as global in nature, or as rabid as done of the save the sharks/whales/turtles, causes, etc....

Our outrage is more about the senseless spearing for the purpose of spearing. Not consumption...

Our outrage is more about the senseless spearing for the purpose of spearing. Not consumption...

I see. Well... everything that lives dies eventually. The only questions are when and how.

Part of being an animal is that we generally have to kill to survive... and it's logical that some people would find pleasure in that. I know it's not PC to find pleasure in hunting but the simple fact is that some people do. If it's not harming fish stocks then I really don't see the problem. It's just part of the human condition, like it or not.

The simple fact is, we've just lost that connection because most of us buy our fish at the supermarket and all the emotion, the thrill of stalking and killing your prey has been completely washed out of us. As a species we've become numb to the basic reality of our existence. It's something we've lost, if you ask me.

In fact, I think everyone should should have to kill an animal before they're allowed to buy meat at the supermarket.

As for it being wasted, are you sure he didn't eat it? Shark meat is actually pretty good.... unlike other fish, the meat is more solid and has a texture more similar to chicken than fish and the taste is more bland. Maybe a nice change of pace for people who like to eat meat but don't really like fish.

R..

I see. Well... everything that lives dies eventually. The only questions are when and how.

This thread is not about food...
This thread is not about fishing...
This thread is not about consumption...
This thread is not about survival...

The original page clearly indicated the Nurse Shark was speared then released...

Real class act...

I guess I don't have a reason to doubt you but that's not what the page said when I clicked on it. It may have been changed but at the moment when you click on it, it says this:

Spear fishing is as old as humans taking to the water. We have looked to the sea for food since the beginning of time. More recently, sport fishing has become extremely popular. Rest assured, if you do not want your catch it will not be wasted. Boca Dive / Florida Dive Industries will make sure the bounty of the ocean is put to good use. Your catch will be used to further recreational diving or be donated to feed people less fortunate than ourselves. We strive to preserve and perpetuate our natural resources and promise not to waste them.

I guess I don't have a reason to doubt you but that's not what the page said when I clicked on it. It may have been changed but at the moment when you click on it, it says this:

About what I'd expect from our crack moderation staff... You could read the whole thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom