BP users - Weight belt, weight harness or pockets?

Which weight system do you prefer?

• I use a weight belt with my bp/wings

Votes: 81 36.5%
  • I use a weight harness with my bp/wings

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I use weight pockets with my/bc/wings

Votes: 87 39.2%
  • I use a combination or other method

Votes: 37 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the ACB20 (used to be called ACB+), with 5lb of soft weight in each pocket. Don't even know it's there during the dive, and I never have sore hips from a improperly adjusted weightbelt - I could never get one to stay in place with my body shape (straight sides :)). Some people hate them but I really like them - the only downside is the inflated cost, so pick em up off eBay if you decide to go that route. Figure out how much weight you need first - if you can get away with using the smaller ACB20 instead of the ACB30, they're a lot less bulky.

I used to use a 5lb STA with my 6lb backplate, but found that with a steel LP tank, this placed my center of gravity too far forward, and I was unable to move my tank back far enough to counter it. So in my case a channel weight or heavy STA was not an option for single tank diving.

ACB, but thinking of going to a harness, perhaps the DUI. The drawback of the ACB is that it occupies a lot of space on your belt and so generally gets in the way of placing things, like your cannister light. Also, if you load the ACB's up and you let them sit with your harness unsupported like I do on a boat, you get premature harness wear cuz that's a lot of weight on your harness and your harness is being pulled across a metal edge, dull though it may be.

Very small weight belt (2-4 lbs) with single and shorty in warm water. No weight belt with my drysuit and twin LP104's.

I have the ACB's and don't like them at all.

I don't need any weight with a BP. If I did, I would go with a weight belt. I don't see the need for a harness and I don't like integrated weights.

Halcyon ACB's, find they are small, out of the way and comfortable. Bend the left d-ring to make it easier to use, modify the right one to carry a cannister.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
If anyone reading this thread is worried about not being able to use a canister light with the smaller ACB20 (ACB+) pockets, here's a link showing how to attach one without modifications:

http://www.giddins.net/scuba/canister_light/canister_acb.htm

Ben,

Unless I'm reading something wrong, it doesn't look like the cannister light is ditchable weight with that setup. Any thoughts? (The pics weren't too clear).

A NiMH canister is only about half a pound negative in the water, and $800 :)

I wouldn't mount an older-style lead acid canister in this fashion, which could be used as ditchable weight, as the canister is only supported by bungee cord, and they would be too heavy out of the water. The NiMH canisters only weigh 2-3 pounds out of the water. I've successfully used this setup on about 20-30 dives now.

Each thumbnail is a link to a larger image.

Gotcha! I didn't realize it was the Helios series. I've still got the Pro 6, and that's what I was thinking of.

I recently made a modification to my weight setup that I'm in the process of trying out. I took my ACB pockets (30s) off of my harness, and mounted them to a standard weightbelt strap by burning holes and bolting them in. The ACBs do an adequate job of holding soft weights and since they cost so much I figured it would be a good idea to actually use them. :)

For a couple of dives over the weekend, I wore the makeshift belt, and mounted my canister light securely with a buckle on my harness (BP) belt. Like Ben, I've got a Stealth NiMH canister light, but it feels too far away from my body and too floppy on the outside of the ACB pocket for my taste. When I tuck it back against the BP, it definitely feels more streamlined.

Another reason I'm trying this is that I'm a single tank diver, and I find it more convenient to keep the weight of my rig (BP/Tank/Reg/Lights), separate from my lead.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom