BP/W comfort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only you will be able to judge if it is comfortable or not. Personally, I've worn mine with t-shirt and didn't have any issues.

Buy the bp/w, dive a few times. If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell if for pretty much what you paid. That won't happen with a regular jacket bc.

I don't know nothin' about no bends in the plate or anything else 'cause the Fred T plate I own is the only one I've ever dived. But I've dived it in a DS, 7mm, 2-3mm and a T-shirt and it's always been comfortable.

The only exception was when I had to hump my kit a ways in just a t-shirt. Certainly BPs are designed for in the water.

I have a Halcyon SS BP/W and while it looks like it could be uncomfortable, it really isnt. I've done about 200+ dives with it and most of that is very aggressive multi-day diving and have never had any discomfort.

You will find that you feel very liberated in the water without having that BC wrapped around you. Someone mentioned doing a couple dives on it and selling if you don't like it. I had about 20-30 dives on it before I really started to get comfortable, so keep that in mind. However, the very first time I dove it, I won't forget that....it was like I was nekked.

The only time a BP has been uncomfortable for me has been humping round tanks (esp doubles) on the surface with only a bikini on... I quickly learned to at least wear a tshirt.

I wouldn't want to walk a mile with my BP/wing/tanks on, but in the water it is amazing. I had 2 dives on it before I decided would never go back. Over 250 dives on BP/wing now.

The proof is that on SB you hear about a lot of people going from BC to BP/wing, but not very many going from BP/wing to BC.

My hammerhead plate is fine in my pool in a T-shirt. I had it in the lake with a 7 mm suit on yesterday and I hardly noticed it was there.

Way better than the squeeze machine torture device of a wrap around BCI had before.

Don

kazinvan:
I had the same worry at first, but after using my Hammerhead plate for a while I have to say it's very comfy. I dive dry, do padding is not a problem, but the plate is even comfortable when playing with the harness at home and wearing nothing but a shirt. If you don't like it, you can always add a pad later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom