BP/W No Weight to Dump ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
You can put the pockets on the waist strap. I have one on mine. It will hold up to 5 lbs. This is what I'm talking about
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item.../Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/XSSTWBK.html
I have two of those same weight pockets, but without the logo on the front.

I have some leftover soft weights, and I found it hard to get more than a 3 lb weightbag into these weightpockets. I don/doff in the water, and felt like I should have a triglide (or something ?) in place to hold the pocket on the other side from the buckle, to keep it from sliding off into the abyss.

The DR 16 lb weightpockets are much more expensive, but are also much nicer.

I just put one right behind the D-ring on the left side of my rig to hold it in place. I have no problems putting a 5lb hard weight or 2 2lb soft weights in it. It's small enough not to interfere with the rest of the rig. I used to dive with the Halcyon ACB20 and found that to be to bulky on the waist.

You can also make an STA similar to the hammerhead 2 piece out of a 1-2" thick piece of 4" PVC pipe, just cut it in half, so you have 2 semi-circles, drill a hole in the middle and bolt it to the mounting holes in your plate - then you have 6 lbs of ditchable weight that you can distribute/wear on a weight belt.

Here's a picture of a set I made like this (though I molded them so they would be flat) http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#sta

Aloha, Tim

ChrisA:
Peole say you will be OK without ditchable weight. Yes untill you need to dditch your
weight then you're screwed.

I'm more worried a weightbelt will work its way lose and I'll get a one-way immediate trip to the surface.

I know, no one I know has had to ditch weight but I
could have hadthat problem once when my BC dump valve decided to stick full open.
I was still the surf and simply turned around back to shallow water but what it
it stuck at 120 feet? There I'd be way negative. I could likely swimm up but what
it I'm at 120 feet and low on air (due to being dumb, narc'd, ...whatever)

a. being at 120 feet, low on air and narc'd is a situation that you want to avoid.

b. i can swim up my full doubles with nothing in my wing and no gas added to my drysuit from 30 fsw (which is about as much of a drysuit hickey as i can stand). i also do have a drysuit, and a bag to use as lift.

lamont:
I'm more worried a weightbelt will work its way lose and I'll get a one-way immediate trip to the surface.

a. being at 120 feet, low on air and narc'd is a situation that you want to avoid.

b. i can swim up my full doubles with nothing in my wing and no gas added to my drysuit from 30 fsw (which is about as much of a drysuit hickey as i can stand). i also do have a drysuit, and a bag to use as lift.

Of course if you don't have a drysuit, then having a small amount of ditchable weight becomes a good thing to have. You just need to make sure it's not so much that you lose control of your ascent should you need to lose it. As much weight as you have air in your tank (6 lbs for al80 etc..) is what I was taught. Of course the reasons for ditching weight at depth are very few, so mostly it is an option reserved for once you are at the surface for the point of positive bouyancy in an emergency.

BIGSAGE136:
Absolutely. You'll have to get use to swimming down just a few feet to offset the suit,
but after that YOU HAVE IT...NEUTRAL BOUYANCY!

Bigsage,
By exercising the above action, the diver will exacerbate a very bad situation and perhaps even create a dangerous one.

If one has to swim the suit down at the beginning of the dive when the diver should already be negatively buoyant with a full tank, think about how positively buoyant the diver will be at the end of the dive with an empty tank and trying to maintain a safety stop at 15'.

Imagine trying to hold a 15' safety stop on a free ascent with that kind of positive buoyancy.

the K

kidspot:
Of course if you don't have a drysuit, then having a small amount of ditchable weight becomes a good thing to have. You just need to make sure it's not so much that you lose control of your ascent should you need to lose it. As much weight as you have air in your tank (6 lbs for al80 etc..) is what I was taught. Of course the reasons for ditching weight at depth are very few, so mostly it is an option reserved for once you are at the surface for the point of positive bouyancy in an emergency.

Kidspot,

I have a hp steel 80. How much weight should I have?

tau:
Thanks everyone for answering my questions on previous threads. I am sold on this BP/W thing!

I have decided to get the Hammerheadscuba SS plate with a Halcyon Wing. Here is my biggest concern. I currently carry 12 pounds of lead when diving.

If I were to say, buy a hammerhead Plate(7 lbs) with a 1 piece STA(5lbs), thats already 12 pounds +- 1. The other route would be to get to get the two piece STA (2.lbs) that will give me what 3 pounds to dump? Is this even safe?

Anyone else has this problem?

I dive with exactly this set up. However, when I weighed my gear, plate and STA, the weight was actually 8 pounds, not 12. I use a 100 cubic foot aluminum Luxfer tank, so at end of my dive the tank adds 4 pounds of lift. My total weitht with two piece 7 mm wet suit and hooded vest is 12 pounds. I use Deep Outdoors weight pockets on my belt webbing. I don't like wight belts. I hope this helps.

Rec Diver:
I dive with exactly this set up. However, when I weighed my gear, plate and STA, the weight was actually 8 pounds, not 12. I use a 100 cubic foot aluminum Luxfer tank, so at end of my dive the tank adds 4 pounds of lift. My total weitht with two piece 7 mm wet suit and hooded vest is 12 pounds. I use Deep Outdoors weight pockets on my belt webbing. I don't like wight belts. I hope this helps.

Do you have the hammerhead 2 piece STA or the 1 Piece? By the way, how do you like the setup? What wing do you have on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom