BP/W setup for a FL T-shirt diver? ? ? ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a DSS Kydex plate (very light weight) & harness with just a rash guard in the summer months. I do have shoulder pads on the harness.
My 5 lb steel back plate I loved in California is just overkill weight wise here.

Been using a back inflate BC (Zeagle Stiletto) and thinking about purchasing a BP/W setup.
If you move from a soft, back-inflate BCD to a SS BP/W, I think you probably won't need any added weight (i.e you can lose the weight you are currently using), with a t-shirt and shorts. I could suggest any one of a number of BPs (Dive Rite, OMS, Zeagle, etc.), but the biggest comment is, go with SS rather than aluminum, given the data you provided. You are currently using 8 lbs, with a slightly 'floaty' BCD. With a SS BP, you probably won't need any weight, or at most 2 lbs.

I fully agree with one comment from another poster on the wing - go minimalist - an 18 pound wing should be fine.
Comfort is a must since I'll often be using without protection. I'm figuring I'd want a back pad and padded straps?
I REALLY don't think you will. Neither of these items is needed, unless you plan to hike 5 miles from your car to the dive site, wearing your scuba unit on your back. Go minimalist - a simple web harness. In the water you won't notice the weight of the unit. If chaffing is any issue, wear a t-shirt.
Not sure which weight pockets, accessory pockets and other accessories to buy.
I would not buy any, to start with. Yes, you give up BCD pockets in the switch to a BP. And, with a t-shirt and shorts, you may not have any pockets. But, try a simple BP, with a one-piece harness, and no accesory pockets, first. See how it works for you, before buying other 'stuff'.
rongoodman:
I wore my Halcyon SS plate with standard one piece harness over a T-shirt on Bonaire a couple of years back without issue.
Sounds like a plan for you, as well. I usually do not recommend diving with (only) a t-shirt and board shorts in a coral reef environment, but that is just me. I like exposure suit protection from jellies, coral, etc - not because I have bouyancy issues, but because s**t happens. However, the choice is up to you.

Thanks for the help guys! Some really valuable info here!

I hear you about the lack of protection provided with a shirt and shorts. I received a couple jelly stings and some nasty scratches last year. It is just convenient and comfortable so I keep doing it anyway. Call me stupid. lol

Still unsure if Stainless or ABS is the better way to go.

I realize I'm a little late and you may have made a decision, but I personally wouldn't worry about padding as an issue. I was worried about that at first when I switched over a few years ago from a SeaQuest Balance to a Halcyon BP/W, but I've never had an issue diving without a shirt or a rash guard. It's still incredibly comfortable and I never have any spots on my back or shoulders that are uncomfortable with the rig.

I've now dived my BP/W without even a t-shirt and I find that the stainless steel backplate and webbing is perfectly comfortable.

So to me, the only question is whether SS is too negative for you.

Back
Top Bottom