BP/W Whats so special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
As I mentioned on another thread, in my years as a working DM I had to drop my tank twice to assist in open water surface rescues in heavy chop, both times I was wearing a standard BCD, as were both distressed divers. I assure you, the events would have played out differently if we had been wearing Hog-rigged BP/W's.
Interesting point. I recently did the well-worn (PADI) Rescue Scenario #7 again, for AI this time. Reading your post, I am left wondering what it would be like to get a tired/unresponsive diver out of a HOG harness, or get myself out while managing the diver, without those handy quick releases. Not saying it can't be done, or would be unmanageable, or any thing like that. But, I certainly need to practice that skill as well. Most of us in the shop tend to dive a jacket while doing an OW course with students, in order to have an equipment confiouration similar to the one the students are wearing, and we therefore practice with that rig. Thanks for the post.

Colliam7:
Interesting point. I recently did the well-worn (PADI) Rescue Scenario #7 again, for AI this time. Reading your post, I am left wondering what it would be like to get a tired/unresponsive diver out of a HOG harness, or get myself out while managing the diver, without those handy quick releases. Not saying it can't be done, or would be unmanageable, or any thing like that. But, I certainly need to practice that skill as well. Most of us in the shop tend to dive a jacket while doing an OW course with students, in order to have an equipment confiouration similar to the one the students are wearing, and we therefore practice with that rig. Thanks for the post.

My rescue class (4 diver, 2 instructors) had everyone wearing a BP/Wing system. The fastest way to get someone out of that type of rig would likely be to cut the harness. During the class, we did not do that but we did extract simulated unresponsive divers out of their kit (as well as ourselves). The trick there isn't really quick releases or anything like that. In my opinion, what is important is familiarity. For example, one has to know that BP/W systems have the two shoulder straps and also a waist belt with a crotch strap. The other thing to be familiar with is where all the different hoses are routed. In the case of my class, we had to undo a long hose, a bungeed backup a drysuit hose and light cord.

For me, in a rescue scenario, I think that it is not the type of system that is really important but rather my familiarity with the system. This is part of the reason why I prefer to dive with people who have similar configuration as I do. It makes it easy for me to spot anything that is out of place during the gear check prior to the dive and it also makes it easier for me to know how to help my buddy out of their gear either after the dive or (heaven forbid) during the dive.

Then even a aluminum plate my cost you excess baggage on longer trips.

As an exercise, I actually took all our BCs -- Two back-inflates, a SS, an Al, and a Kydex backplate systems with single wings, and weighed them. To my surprise, even the SS BP/W was only a pound or so heavier than the BCs. The Al and Kydex plate systems were lighter.

It is actually quite easy to get a diver out of a harness on the surface -- If the diver is lying supine (and the harness is all undone), pull his arms up over his head, and simply slide the rig off. But you do have to know that's how to do it.

Hi everyone... My first post on SB, although I too, have been lurking for quite awhile. I'm not going to go into why a BP/W is better than a BC - I think people have already put the pros and cons out there... but I do want to say that if it wasn't for the BP/W, I probably wouldn't be diving now.

My fiance will get a kick out of this when he reads it, but I just want to go public and say I will not go back to a BC. We did our OW classes with the BC's last summer and right away I was having problems with panic attacks and such - even in the 3 feet of water in the pool where we trained. I have never had problems while swimming so this was a shock! At first it seemed to just be a bit of claustraphobia with the mask and reg, but our instructor was wonderful and helped me through that.

Later that summer, after we rented some gear and went on vacation, it became more than just the mask and reg that was giving me problems (I was fine with those by then). I got one dive in and that was it for the rest of the week - the squeeze I had around my ribs and the constriction everywhere else did me in! I have never suffered from panic attacks before and I hope I never do again! I was so bummed because my fiance really enjoyed diving, and I did too... but I just wasn't able to dive!

Early this year, he started dealing with a new dive shop and the owner is really into "tech" gear (I hate saying that, because a BP/W isn't just for tech) and also has BP/W in his rentals which is great. Well, Mike went on a dive with a group of ppl from there and tried out a BP/W... and loved it. He managed to get me to promise to try it out before I gave up diving altogether, and let me tell you... the freedom I have with that SS plate strapped to my back is like nothing else! I was able to drop a tiny bit of weight as well, although I still like my weight belt rather than integrated pouches on the waistband of the BP/W. We had a great vacation this year in Tobermory, ON and I didn't have a problem with any of my dives.

So I'm hooked... and won't be going back to a BC either!

just_a_regulator_guy:
Hi All,

Although I just completed my OW cert, I have been lurking these forums for quite some time.
It seems that there almost a religious fanaticism when it comes to people talking about BP/W's. Most comments are along the lines of "I originally bought a jacket BC, but now that I have a BP/W... I wish I bought a BP/W first." I don't think I have ever read a post where someone stated that they hate a BP/W.

Cans someone (in simple newbie terms) explain how a BP/W differs from a jacket BC and why someone should consider purchasing one?

Its the D.I.R. love pillow! :rofl3:

There is a lot of good info here on the advantages of a bp/w. In fact thats all I dive.

On the other hand, I have found a few disadvantages...

Infinite ways to adjust your bp/w means that you will sometimes end up screwing with the adjustments more than you would otherwise. This may not be a problem when you are trying to get the perfect setup for tech diving, but if you don't want to screw with adjustments, then maybe its not for you.

I've also had some pain in my hips from the backplate digging in while standing on the dock with doubles. Admittedly, when I jump in the water and readjust the problem goes away.

Another problem can be attributed to the one piece harness. I dive with a VR3 wrist computer and dive slate on one hand and a compass in the other. These items can sometimes catch on the harness if you are doing a gear removal underwater.

I'm not trying to say that a bp/w is a bad setup. As I have said before, this is what I use. I'm just against drinking the cool aid without thinking about it.

Sera0202:
.....(I hate saying that, because a BP/W isn't just for tech) ......!

i had a interesting conversation with a leading diveshop owner. i was saying that i did not believe that a BPW was tech gear.

the response was "i agree, but if you call it techical you will sell more of them" :wink:

ive only recently started diving in a bpw - i really really like it and understand why so many peoople say "get a bpw" on threads now

cheers

RoyN:
Its the D.I.R. love pillow! :rofl3:

You'd better keep clear of trying one in the future in any given circumstance, it just might be love at first sight...:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom