BPW wing pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve:
OK that part is easy to answer...if it is looped under my belt it immediately removes about 2-3 feet of available hose in a possible OOA emergency. So I want it so I can donate my primary and have as much spare hose length between me and my buddy as needed.

See Jonnythan's quote below. He's GUE and DIR and it does work beautifully. Besides, you get your buddy to beg .... :wink:

Jonnythan:
Thigh pockets have nothing to do with the long hose. The long hose gets routed under a canister if you have a can light, *or* a loop is tucked under the waist band.

Trust me, you still have plenty of hose and after the OOA diver has gas you simply tug on the hose to deploy the rest. It works, I do it all the time.

BTW, the canister is a great alternative and can be another way to take weight off your belt. Combine that with a goodman handle, you'll have more free hands than you do with that pistol dive light. I'm in the process of making my own (see DIY section). Why? Too cheap to buy one.

Just be thankful I didn't have my speedos on show...think of the trauma potential!

Thats it. You've ruined my evening with that picture .... :11:

DrSteve:
...if it is looped under my belt it immediately removes about 2-3 feet of available hose in a possible OOA emergency.
DrSteve, you don't loop it under the belt, you tuck it into the belt. It just pulls out, like a tucked in shirt, if needed.
As for the inner tube I was talking about to hold your LP inflator hose against your corrugated inflator, here goes a picture of what I'm talking about.

Jason

jonnythan:
Thigh pockets have nothing to do with the long hose. The long hose gets routed under a canister if you have a can light, *or* a loop is tucked under the waist band.

Trust me, you still have plenty of hose and after the OOA diver has gas you simply tug on the hose to deploy the rest. It works, I do it all the time.

Ah a loop! I didn't think of that!

Hank49:
I'm new with this BP/wing stuff but it almost looks like your wing is mounted upside down on your back plate. Is your dump valve where your inflator assembly is supposed to screw in and vice versa? Just a thought.
No it's definitely configured the correct way with respect to orientation!

Dr Steve,

I dive a SS BP/W (6lb BP)and with my 3mm at 130 feet, I don't have that much air in my wing at all. Are you sure your properly weighted?

You mentioned earlier the amount of air in your wing with respect to suit coompression..so I thought I would throw that out there.

Jason

jepuskar:
Dr Steve,

I dive a SS BP/W (6lb BP)and with my 3mm at 130 feet, I don't have that much air in my wing at all. Are you sure your properly weighted?

You mentioned earlier the amount of air in your wing with respect to suit coompression..so I thought I would throw that out there.

Jason

Yup definitely weighted properly for the end of my dive. As a guide when diving a full suit and my Ranger I used 16-18lbs. So diving with 11 lbs (BP + belt) is in line with what I expected.

OK here's the pics of the holes available on th BP and the wing and the STA.

As you can see the STA can only fit on the plate in one location. But the same is true for the wing! If I move the wing down the holes in the wing won't line up with the STA. Getting rid of the STA won't help any as the eye holes in the wing still don't line up. Seems there is precious little room for adjustment.

Any comments? (Preferably that don't involve making new holes or drilling out the nice plate I just spent hard earned money on and heaven forbid expected to all work out of the box!)

Thanks!

Ironically, I was on Bonaire at the same time you were and was doing my first dives on my new bp/w setup too. After a little bit of tweaking I loved what it did for my trim. I ended up w/ 2 lbs in trim pockets on my tank band and nothing on my belt.

For tropical diving I used one of the 18# Oxycheq wings and it was perfect although when I dove on the windward side of the island a little more lift in the big swells would've been nice when waiting for the boat on the surface.

That wing is huge for a single tank.

There is only one upper hole in the backplate? I'm not talking about where the grommet is in the strap, but in the stainless steel itself there is only a single hole? No more hidden under the strap?

radinator:
That wing is huge for a single tank.

There is only one upper hole in the backplate? I'm not talking about where the grommet is in the strap, but in the stainless steel itself there is only a single hole? No more hidden under the strap?

That was something which concerned me about the wing size (but the Ranger is 44lbs and most of my diving will be in cold waters). But...there is only a single upper hole on the plate, yet a slide at the lower part of the plate...great room for adjustment there!

From looking at it, it seems I may be able to drill 2 new holes and lower the wing by about an inch, combine that with lowering the entire plate an inch on my back and I may be OK. Still very annoying. I bet DR will have no comment about the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom