Braided vs Rubber Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dis a search on this but couldn't find anything more recent than about 2017 or so. What's the latest thinking on braided hoses? I like that they're lightweight and more compact, but are they as reliable as rubber?

Not that I've seen or heard of. And they still are not friendly to the hairs on your arm or back of the neck. Nor do they play nice with drysuit seals.
As for being lighter? In the water, what makes the difference? Traveling? Leave a shirt or two at home, and you make up the difference.
They also still take a set when left coiled and are floaty.
If I was still teaching I would still not allow them in my classes for the second stage since they are easier to kink and cut off airflow.
Some are also recommended to be replaced every two years. I've got rubber hoses that are 10 and still fine.
That braid is also going to pick up dirt and snag on stuff.
For me, all of that makes them a waste of money for no real benefit.

I had jumped on the bandwagon, and now slowly executing my exit....

See the FAQ near the bottom.

The only thing I don’t like braided hoses for is a long hose. They kink up and go floaty. Otherwise, I use both. I’ve had no issues.

The box of used braided hoses in my dive locker tells the story.....99% of my regulators have rubber hoses now. I was sold on the flexibility and weight like many others were, but found them to be very irritating and only after a year or so of use, they would become very "prickly" which only made me hate them even more. Purchase quality rubber hoses and they will last a long time.

I just bought a 7 foot rubber hose to replace my expensive braided one for all of the reasons listed above. I haven’t dove with it yet but pretty sure I’ll be happier.

“Tidy bowl” dive traveller; 100 or so dives per year; standard rec config (no long hose). I prefer braided LP hoses for 2nd stage comfort without having to mess with angled adapters. I replace my hoses every few years whether they look like they need it or not. I use the DGX hoses. Relatively inexpensive maintenance. Never had a problem. YMMV

I have had two Miflex HP hoses fail within a single year, upon pressurization; and only have a single hose remaining on a spare SPG / depth gauge console.

When that one goes tits-up, it's sayonara and back to rubber hoses -- of which I have had only four or five LP and / or HP failures over almost as many decades.

The braided hoses were a neat idea but they really haven't stuck the landing . . .

Back
Top Bottom